Chapter 28

Luca

I'm gentle with Mariya as I lean her back against the pillows. Framing her face, I stare deep into her eyes as my thumbs brush the tears away. "You're my every breath. Every fucking beat of my heart is for you."

The relief on her face fills me with regret for not telling her sooner how I felt.

I'll never make that mistake again. From now on, there will be no secrets between us.

Mariya composes herself, then scowls at me. "If I weren't lying in a hospital bed, I'd kick your ass."

A grin forms around my mouth. "You can beat me up once

you're better."

She slaps my shoulder lightly. Shaking her head, she lets out a soft chuckle. "We're such dumbasses."

"I'm not going to disagree." "Why didn't you tell me sooner?" she asks, her gaze filled

with her love for me.

The line between us has been erased, and I can't express how good it feels to be honest with her.

"I wanted to build my empire so I could give you the world."

Her eyebrows draw together. "I only ever wanted you."

"I didn't know," I admit. "You were damn good at letting me think you were indifferent toward me "

"You're one to talk," she mutters. "You always made me

feel like I wasn't worth your time." I shake my head. "I'm sorry, amore mio."

"What does that mean???

"My love."

A smile warms her face. "I have to learn the language."

"We'll have plenty of time while you recover."

We're wrapped in an intimate bubble, and I'm so fucking thankful I got the chance to tell her how I feel. "No more secrets," I whisper as I lean closer.

"Okay."

I press my mouth to hers, and when she lets me in, I kiss her with everything I feel for her. I give her every emotion I've experienced the past week.

The tear I had when she was taken, the gutting heartache because she got hurt, and the absolute relief of coming clean with her.

I adore her with my tongue, my lips, my teeth, the kiss

deep and filled with the intensity of our love.

"Parents in the room," Uncle Alexei mutters.

I pull away, a broad smile forming on my face as I look at my in-laws.

Aunt Bella glances from me to Mariya, then relief softens her features. She walks to the side of the bed and brushes her hand over Mariya's forehead. "See, I told you not to worry." Mariya looks so much better with her cheeks flushed.

I move away from the bed so her parents can greet her, but Uncle Alexei comes to stand next to me. He pats me on my back and whispers, "Thank you."

We only got to bask in our love for a couple of hours.

Then the nurse announced it was time for everyone to

leave. I got to stay, seeing as I'm Mariya's husband. "Once Mrs. Cotroni is released from the hospital, you'll

have to assist her whenever she needs the bathroom," Mariya's eyes widen. It's only for a moment. "I can go to

the bathroom by myself."