Opportunities Taken - Chapter 16

That evening Chase, Skye, Marshall, Everest, Rhonda, Doug, Zuma, Cutter, Rocky, Volkova, and Rubble got together for dinner at the lodge.

"So everyone but Rubble knows Cutter," said Zuma, "but let me introduce her as my mate for the first time."

"Congratulations guys," said everyone present.

"And this is Volkova," said Rocky, "I've known her for several years. We're office mates."

"Oh for the love of dog," laughed Skye, "just say she's your girlfriend."

"W-well s-she hasn't e-exactly agreed to that yet," whispered Rocky, looking down.

"Rocky, will you be my boyfriend?" asked Volkova, lifting Rocky's head.

"Yes, Volkova," said Rocky, "nothing would make me happier."

"Wanta bet?" laughed Cutter.

Rocky and Volkova's eyes swelled and they immediately turned bright red, understanding what was being implied.

The pups cheered.

The evening continued with everyone talking and getting to know each other.

"Rubble," said Chase, "it seems a bunch of us are going to need to get with you to build houses and such."

"Rubble on the Double," laughed Rubble using his old catch phrase.

Cutter pulled Skye over to the side. "Skye?" asked Cutter, "Were you serious about flying for you?"

"Of course," said Skye, "Are you thinking about getting out?"

"I've never thought about anything other than flying for the Coast Guard," said Cutter, "I really do love Zuma. If I got out it would be to fly for someone else anyway. I think flying for you would be a really good thing. I don't however want you to think you have to allow me because of Zuma. I will provide you with all my training records and flight logs. I want you to choose me because you believe I'm an acceptable pilot."

"I don't doubt for a second that you are," said Skye. "It will be good to expand. You'll have to get your Commercial rating and then Airline Transport Pilot but I don't think that will really be a problem. Where are you and Zuma thinking of living?"

"I can't imagine him wanting to live anywhere other than here," said Cutter, "I would never expect him to leave teaching. You can tell when he talks about his team how proud he is of them."

"Well, you'll have to fly with me for a while until you get your pilot in command time to obtain you Airline Pilot rating," said Skye, "But there is an additional hanger here. We can park the 3500 here and you can base here. It appears we might be staying as well."

"Well," said Cutter, "I think I've made up my mind. I'll fly back to Hawaii and turn in my papers to separate from active service at the end of the month. I will probably maintain reserve status until I can retire."

"It's a deal then," laughed Skye, "I'll fly you back to Hawaii. We can call it a final interview flight."

***

At that same time, Rocky pulled Chase over to a corner, "Well congrats on the appointment to the team I'm not supposed to know about."

"How in the hell?" laughed Chase.

"Please, I have more clearance than you," laughed Rocky. "Seriously, you'll be perfect."

"Thanks," said Chase. "Could I trouble you to help me build a SCIF (Sensitive Compartmented Information Facility - for those that don't know that term.) to work out of."