Chapter Thirty-Four

Three Weeks Later

Karen gave me free rein in choosing the restaurant for tonight. I didn't have to think twice. Even though the Italian bistro is causal—and arguably too casual for a birthday dinner—I swear I think about their lasagna a few times a week. I couldn't resist an opportunity to eat there.

The Clarkes were so kind to offer to take me out to celebrate a few days after my birthday. I spent the Christmas holidays at home with my parents and celebrated my actual birthday with them. We played some board games and watched our favourite holiday movies. It was just what I needed.

I needed this night too, I'm realizing. The five of us enjoyed our meal at the restaurant, and Karen invited me back to the house for a slice of cake. She spent the afternoon baking it with Ava. It featured her signature homemade buttercream, and I wasn't going to say no to that.

Karen's baking is even better than I remembered. We're sitting around the living room coffee table, China dishes filled with chocolate cake in our hands. It's a clear night outside, but also a cold one, and the cackling fire that Richard started is the perfect touch.

"I've always loved your home," I admit.

My parents' place is smaller. Simpler. Most of the furniture is what I call chabby-chic, given that my dad bought most of it at garage sales. The Clarkes' home is impeccably designed, but full of character, too.

"We've always loved having you in it," Karen says.

Thomas sets his plate on the table and takes a sip from his glass. "We've loved it here, too. Sienna, you're going to have to visit us at our new place once it's ready."

"You're moving?" My voice is louder than I wanted it to be.

I look between Karen and Richard. I can't picture them anywhere else. But maybe it doesn't feel the same without Ethan. I'd understand that.

Ava laughs. "No, not them. Just Thomas and me. After months of looking, we finally found the perfect place for us to start our life together."

Knowing that the Clarkes will still call this place home feels like a hug. Thomas and Ava show me the virtual tour of their new place on their phones. It's a brown stone, not too far from his parents.

"There are some things we'd like to change, but overall, we're happy with it," Ava says.

I'd hope so. It looks amazing to me. The exterior is beautiful, no doubt. Greenery surrounds the black rod iron railing. There are several steps leading up to the front door, creating a comfortable distance from the street. But the inside; the inside is something else. A small entrance leads the way to an open concept living area. Three of the four walls are that same red brick, and the fourth is painted white. It's spacious, rustic, yet elegant. Behind the couch is the staircase that leads to the second floor.

"Congratulations. It's stunning."

"As soon as we're settled in, we'll invite you over," Thomas says.

"I'd love that."

Karen and Richard ask me how I feel about the winter semester, which is starting on Monday. A pit forms in my stomach whenever I think of school, which is a rarity. For the first time since I've been at Columbus, I dread the idea of living in my dorm by myself. I've been back for a day, and I'm already lonely. Living with Hayden and Niall was a blast, but that's off the table now.

"I'm sure you'll do great," Richard says.

"No doubt about that," his wife agrees. "Ava, what do you say we give Sienna her gifts now?"

Ava nods and excuses herself from the living room.

"Gifts? You really didn't need to get me anything. You treated me for dinner and made me this lovely cake. That's so kind."