Chapter 11

I like it here; Cathy sounds so happy that I'm actually jealous of her. I chuckle to myself, she is a faceless voice with no physical body, of course she's happy, she doesn't exist.

As for me, I need to take some extra precautions to make sure that Cory doesn't get murdered in my house tonight. According to the killer's pattern, they would probably go after someone tomorrow but considering that Cory was their only almost victim, there was a chance that they would try to finish the job tonight.

I let myself into my house, for once, the emptiness doesn't bother me. As angry I am at them, I'd actually prefer my parents not to be home if a murderer comes a knocking. That's why I'm extremely surprised when my doorbell rings almost as soon as I slump down on the couch for a short nap. I open the door and Mia grins at me, "you murder proof the house yet?"

I stare at her confused, "what are you doing here?"

"Making sure you take every possible precaution".

I step aside to let her in, "there's a huge chance no one's going to show up tonight".

"Would you hold it against me if I said I hope someone does?"

"Would you believe me if I said I wouldn't?"

She laughs, "okay what weapons do you have on hand?"

I frown, "a baseball bat, a hockey stick, kitchen knives, the usual".

"Never took you for a sports guy".

"You have a lot to learn about me".

She bites her lip, "I don't think Maya and Cory are getting back together any time soon".

I flop back down on the couch, "disappointed?"

"No, it's just weird, you know, they've been together for like four years, I just always thought they would, you know, end up together".

"Cory is heartbroken, but Maya seems to be doing okay".

"She's not" Mia cut in, "Maya isn't an easy person to read if you haven't known her your whole life. And Cory, well let's just say I never knew what she saw in him in the first place"

"Aww, did she leave you for Cory?" I said, teasingly.

To my surprise, Mia's smile dropped, "I think we should get on with the sleepover preparations".

Definitely hit a nerve there.

I slap my forehead, "Dammit".

Mia turns around, "what?"

I grin sheepishly, "I forgot to stock up on snacks".

Mia shakes her head in disbelief, "How?"

I shrug, "there's a grocery store down the road".

"Yeah, I know, I've lived here longer than you remember?"

"So....do you want to come along?"

"Of course," she walks past me, "Can't have Cory dying of food poisoning now, can we?"

"Haha."

*************

Mia holds up two packets, "tomato or cheese?"

I take them from her, "tomato AND cheese".

She shrugs, "you're the one paying for it".

I round the aisle with my cart and bump into another shopping cart, the impact nearly throwing me off balance, "I'm so sorry".

"Hey, you're Lucas, right? Maya's friend?"

Peyton is smiling brightly at me, and I actually feel myself start to blush, "Yeah, that's me".