Chapter 10

Ever since I found out about the merger, I haven't been able to get a break from Talia mentally

Ever since I found out about the merger, I haven't been able to get a break from Talia mentally. It's like even when she's not with me, she finds ways to take up residence in my mind. She's starting to feel like an annoying fly that I just can't get rid of. That makes it all the more exciting to go on a date with the gorgeous blonde I've been texting on and off with. It's a perfect way to get my mind off of work and the woman that's driving me insane.

I don't have time for dates typically, but I still make it a point to go out now and then. Things often never turn serious but I'm okay with that. While I'm open to meeting the one, or whatever my mom opines about, the women I attract never can keep up a half-decent conversation. The number of times I go on a date thinking something could happen, and then come to find out the woman thinks stock options means chicken or vegetable, is too many to count.

Tiffany seems different though. Although she's much younger and in a completely different sphere career-wise as an Instagram influencer, she's very knowledgeable and passionate about animal rights and the environment. I admire people who are passionate about their work and care deeply about the world and those around them. Plus, I can't discount it, she's a stunning woman.

As I continue to get ready for my date, Talia buzzes her way back to the forefront of my thoughts. She's someone who's very passionate about her career and seems like a good leader based on what I witnessed at McAvoy earlier today. While she's tough with her employees, she cares about their successes.

An ache brews in my head every time I think about the conversation we had in my office. I can't imagine what she must have faced to get to where she is and wonder if she ever enjoys life. How could she, with that hanging over her head all the time? I can't figure her out and that irks me. I pride myself on being a good people person and knowing exactly what's on someone's mind. But Talia is an enigma. She makes about as much sense as rain on a sunny day.

I smile thinking about how we argued again in her office after sharing the news with her employees. Apparently, I spoke way too much in the second announcement and didn't hold up my end of the deal. I chuckle and grab my keys. That woman would be unhappy with me no matter what I did. I'd say I did a pretty good job keeping my words to a minimum.

Okay, stop thinking about her, Lucas! Think about Tiffany!

The drive to Medici Italiana is short. I've never eaten here before but I heard great things. As soon as I step through the door, I can see exactly why it's the talk of the town. Burgundy, dark wood, and low lighting paint my vision. Ornate chandeliers hang throughout the space and it looks like the setting of one of those paintings you see at a European museum. Chatter fills the air and the aromas of pasta fill my nostrils as I check in with the host and make my way to my seat. And soon after, Tiffany arrives looking like a model stepping out of a magazine.

The petite, blue-eyed blonde is wearing a short, pink-ish dress that hugs her curves in all the right places. Her wide smile bares all of her pearly whites. "I'm so glad we're finally meeting," she says in her baby-doll-like voice that I've only heard once before.