Chapter 120: Are You Expecting

Sang Yufei's eyebrows creased together unwittingly. He hesitated for a moment before saying, "Big brother, Brother-in-law, I have to prepare for next year's Metropolitan exams. There are all sorts of people in the country, I think it'll be better if——"

Sang Hong understood his reasoning and nodded, "We will welcome those who come to congratulate us, and threat them with courtesy. As for the gifts, let us not accept them!"

"I thought so too!" Sang Yufei immediately let out a breath of relief. He did not speak his mind previously even though he had finally achieved some success from working hard over so many years because his big brother and sister-in-law deserved to share the fruits of his success as well. However, if he were to reject the gifts, they would receive nothing.

"That isn't right," Shi Fengju shook his head and said, "We're a family so I'll just say it outright. Second Brother, you're afraid that your reputation might be harmed by the people with bad intentions. However, you are all neighbors; if you reject their goodwill, some might see you as being arrogant and unfriendly. Second Brother, forgive me for saying this, but that will not do you any good!"

"That, we can't let that happen, right?" Sang Hong was taken aback. There will be a negative consequence for not accepting the gifts?

"Brother-in-law, you're right!" Sang Yufei's expression darkened as beads of cold sweat formed at his back. The reputation of being lofty and aloof often meant that one is unsociable. How can he become an official with such traits? That would be terrible!

"We didn't consider the consequences carefully... As for this matter——" Sang Yufei creased his brows and said, "Forget it, we'll accept their gifts first! After that, we'll prepare a gift of equal value in return!"

Quietly, Shi Fengju approved his words. If Second Brother is able to think this way, then he still has a chance to succeed in the officialdom. If he were to think like his big brother, then he must be persuaded from joining the ranks of the officers or else he would be a pushover when under pressure. But that wasn't the worst of it. If he were to accidentally offend someone, his own life would be on the line.

"The return gift can be of a lesser value than the gifts given. People will understand that you've received their goodwill!" Shi Fengju said with a smile.

"Right," Sang Yufei nodded his head with a smile.

Sang Hong sighed and said, "Brother-in-law has seen more and is able to think through issues more thoroughly. Alright, as I'm less familiar with this, I'll leave this discussion between you two! I've no objections whatsoever so long as it's good for Yufei!"

"Big brother!" With a feeling of warmth, Sang Yufei looked at Sang Hong appreciatively.

Shi Fengju said again, "Not just that, there will be many others who will turn up wanting to become servants as well. As for them," Shi Fengju raised his eyebrows and said, "They're mostly people who want to take a shortcut. There will be no benefit in leaving them in the household, so do reject them properly. If you need servants at home, put in a little more effort and buy them from the middlemen to put yourself at ease. If you are unsure about this, you can just let me know when you're looking to buy one in the future!"

The Shi family were naturally familiar with doing business with Qingzhou's middlemen and the Shi's head servants had a system to follow when picking servants.

Sang Yufei replied courteously and said, "If there is any help that I need in the future, I'll have to trouble Brother-in-law again. Let me give my thanks in advance!"

"Second brother, you are too polite!" Shi Fengju nodded and smiled.

While the three were discussing at a corner, Fang Shi was sewing soles while speaking to Sang Wan at another. Sang Quan, Sang Nuan, Liu Ya, and Xing Zhi were laughing and playing in the front yard.