Chapter 7: Lost Marbles

"Ma'am!" Once Zhide went out to instruct the maidservants, Liu Ya eagerly called out to Sang Wan. Rubbing her hands together excitedly, she said with a determined voice, "Ma'am, rest assured! Liu Ya will learn with all her heart!"

Sang Wan smiled softly, "No need to hurry. Haste makes waste."

After dressing herself up properly, a young maidservant with important news barged into the chamber. "Ma'am, Miss Gu is here!" She exclaimed with a pinch of excitement in her voice. Hearing that, the other maidservants instinctively gauged Sang Wan with their eyes.

This was a show that could not be missed!

"My cousin-in-law has arrived? Quickly, invite her in!" Sang Wan secretly smirked to herself, but on the surface, she gently instructed the maidservants and acted as if the guest was just her cousin-in-law.

But in actual fact, shouldn't that be the case?

"My dear cousin-in-law! Congratulations, Cousin-in-law Sang Wan!" Before Sang Wan spoke, Gu Fangzi had already entered the chamber, with Lan Xiang following closely behind. With both hands, one above the other, on the left side of her waist, she bowed elegantly to Sang Wan and smiled delicately. "It is a little impolite of me to come in unwelcomed, but I hope my dear cousin-in-law will not give me the cold shoulder."

"Why would I? Quickly, enough manners!" Maintaining her smile, Sang Wan personally assisted her into the chamber. Upon entering the chamber, Sang Wan ordered a maidservant to serve tea before sitting down together with Gu Fangzi. With the same smile, Sang Wan said, "I've always wanted to have a conversation with someone, and luckily, you're here! I'm clumsy at speech and shallow in knowledge. I hope Cousin-in-law Fangzi won't find me uninteresting to talk to!"

"Why would I? Cousin-in-law Sang Wan, you're too polite!" Gu Fangzi giggled, and the two ladies gazed at each other.

After finishing the tea, Gu Fangzi discreetly observed Sang Wan. Concerned, she asked, "My dear cousin-in-law, your complexion does not look too good. Is it because you were too busy and neglected your rest? A woman should care more for her own body. Us women can neglect almost everything, but absolutely not our own body. Cousin-in-law Sang Wan, there is no need to scruple; when it's time to rest, rest well! Aunt Wang is a very nice person, and she treats others even more so! Once you've stayed long enough with her, you'll understand."

As Gu Fangzi's soft and gentle words of concern flowed into her ears, Sang Wan felt as if she was in a trance. Snapping herself back to reality, she recalled the good Gu Fangzi's advice had done to her! The enthusiasm and concern Gu Fangzi had displayed was like a fire pit, giving her warmth in the cold weather; it had been much better than the way Shi Fengju treated her. All of her knowledge regarding her mother-in-law's temperament and preferences had all been heard through Gu Fangzi's mouth. As a result, she had followed the descriptions given by Gu Fangzi and caused her mother-in-law to despise her as the days went by!

The more she thought about it, the more she wanted to laugh. Credit must be given to Gu Fangzi; she was clever to such an extent that she was able to utilize such underhanded methods with ease! What's more, despite Sang Wan being led by the nose and deceived so badly by Gu Fangzi, Gu Fangzi herself had been able to slip away guilt-free!

Of course, Gu Fangzi had not been the one at fault; all the fault had lain solely on Sang Wan herself.

"Many thanks to Cousin-in-law Fangzi for the care and concern! Ah yes, Cousin-in-law Fangzi, from where did you come here?" Sang Wan smiled as she asked.

Gu Fangzi was amazed that Sang Wan had not taken the opportunity to find out more about her mother-in-law! Her mother-in-law's attitude directly determined her position in the Shi Family. Did she not care about her position in the Shi Family at all? Or was she already well-prepared?