Eleven

"You'll be staying with me," Snow informed Whiskey from the other side of the bars. He could see a fresh mark on her chin, dripping with blood.

She thought about it for a second, quiet. "How did they allow this? What did you have to do?" She waited for him to reply, eyeing him down suspiciously. This was no small request.

Coriolanus brushed off her questions. "Don't worry about it. I only care that you are safe."

This made whiskey smile, but she didn't believe him.

A group of guards entered the cage and told her to put her arms out. Her feet pressed firmly into the dusty ground for the last time. Her eyes wandered over the small zoo. It was over.

Cold metal clasped around her wrists and locked in place. It was heavy but she didn't mind. It was her freedom. A rush of wind brushed the edge of her dress on the way past.

By now, the other tributes to starting to watch. Some complained but others simply stood and stared. Ratley ran up to her, but a guard pointed his gun, telling him not to go only further.

Whiskey smiled at Ratley, letting him know everything was okay. She was concerned to be leaving him alone in here without her, but there wasn't much she could do. He crossed his arms and nodded, relief flooding his face.

The sound of clinking followed her out as she passed through the exit, towards Coriolanus. For the first time in all week, she took a breath of fresh air and smiled. Maybe things would get better now.

She didn't dare look back into the cage, fearing seeing the district 7 boy. She knew he was staring. She just hoped he wouldn't find anyone else to fill her place now she was gone. The thought made her sick.

Coriolanus smiled as she stood in front of him, showing off his dashing teeth. "You're safe now."

Despite Whiskey's stubbornness, she looked up at him and whispered, "thank you."

Snow smiled, "What did you say? Can you say it louder? I didn't hear you."

Whiskey rolled her eyes. "I said thank you!"

Coriolanus touched her wrist, "you're welcome."

Suddenly, Lucretius Flickerman jumped out of the bushes with his giant camera. "Would you look at this, people of the capital, Snow and Everdeen are touching! Care to explain what's going on? Why is your tribute leaving the zoo?!"

Whiskey covered her face but Snow stepped forward. "She's coming to stay with me for a while."

Flickerman gasped out loud, "and why would this be allowed?"

Snow sighed, prepared for these interrogations. He grabbed Whiskey hand and moved it away to show the bruised eye and bloody chin. Flickerman widened his eyes and zoomed the camera in towards her face.

Whiskey stared at Snow, feeling sick. If he told the whole world why she was being moved out, she would never forgive him.

"Some of the tributes have been beating up mine," he announced, making her sigh with relief. "Cheating is not going to be tolerated before the games so I've been allowed to keep her safe somewhere away."

"Very well," Flickerman replied, "and where will you be keeping this pretty girl, you do think she's pretty don't you?"

Snow smirked at his slyness and grabbed Whiskeys hand gently. "She'll be staying with me."