30. You're a Crisis of My Faith

Year: 129 AC

Year: 129 AC

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Daenys's chambers were a flurry of activity that morning. The air was rich with the scent of perfumed oils and the gentle rustle of silk. Golden sunlight filtered through the latticed windows, casting a warm glow upon the scene unfolding within. 

The princess sat in front of her vanity, surrounded by her handmaidens who fluttered around her anxiously. King Viserys's declining health demanded that the wedding ceremony be held almost immediately and the residents of the Red Keep scrambled to keep up with his lengthy demands.  

With skilled hands, one of Daenys's attendants wove strands of gold into her intricate braids, adorning them with blossoms of forget-me-nots and daisies, while another fussed with her complexion. Daenys's fingers trembled with nervous anticipation, and she was grateful that Baela and Rhaena kept her company, brightening the room with their presence. 

Baela, with her poised demeanour, observed her with a hint of reservation in her gaze. She sat on an adjacent divan, her fingers tracing patterns on the fabric, an unspoken concern etched upon her features. Rhaena, on the other hand, chattered enthusiastically about all manner of things, from the latest bits of gossip she had gleaned from her friends at court, to the itinerary for the day's events. She was sprawled over the bed, one of Helaena's twins in her lap, Jaehaera's tiny fingers fiddling with Rhaena's.

"You look lovely, Daenys. Although you look a little pale, are you sure you're quite alright?"

Daenys met Rhaena's eyes in the looking glass, "Thank you, sister. I am fine, just wedding day nerves you know. "

Baela's gaze lingered on her with unspoken worries. Her words were careful, chosen with a hint of apprehension. 

"Has the king perhaps forced your hand? You know you need not do everything he says. One word from you and I shall go speak to him myself, decline on your behalf?"

Daenys smiled then, turning to meet Baela's gaze with understanding, "No one has forced my hand, Baela."

"So you're choosing to marry...him?"

"...yes..."

"Of all the men in the kingdom? I am certain you could have found someone better. Someone more worthy of you!"

"I assure you, I am quite happy with the union. 

"Well if he causes you harm, know that I will not hesitate to put a sword between his eyes. Or better yet, you should be the one to do it!"

Baela's protective declaration made Daenys giggle, sending her a grateful smile. 

Baela's expression softened, a small sigh escaping her lips, "If you're certain, then I shall be happy for you."