𝟎𝟎𝟑. 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬

𝕸adeleine is losing her mind

𝕸adeleine is losing her mind. She's convinced of it. She knows there's no going back anymore, no pretending that life as she knew it two years ago will never be the same again.

In some cases, it's a relief.

But in the others . . . .

She hasn't stopped thinking about him since that day. It's been three days now and still she just cannot seem to rid her mind off thoughts of him - thoughts of his confusion leaden face, thoughts of his relief and shock, thoughts of his searching eyes, thoughts of his hair and his perfect face and-

Thoughts of his hope.

Because there, in the parking lot of that homely grocery store, he had looked at her with so much hope that she almost threw up when she came back to the cottage.

She spent the entire day mourning.

Mourning the loss of something that, honestly, doesn't feel worthy anymore.

Mourning the loss of her love, mourning the loss of the only man who's ever made her happy.

Mourning the loss of her own sense of self because she should've been careful.

Didn't she know what it's like to let someone have so much power over you that the loss of their love drives you to insanity?

Didn't she, explicitly, warn herself that one night a couple summers ago that no matter what happened, she'd never let anyone get close to her again?

Never let herself love someone so much again?

Never leave her heart unguarded? Never stop putting her own happiness first?

Never let a man break her heart again?

But she went ahead and betrayed herself anyway.

Three days have passed and it's only today, that she's allowed herself to spend some time at the beach - writing, napping, trying to forget about everything that's wrong with her life.

Now that the sky is a rich hue of pink and orange - the lowly wind rushing through her untied hair, her jumper fluttering against the breeze as she sits cross legged at the end of the boardwalk, eyes cast ahead in deep thought - it feels like the day is once again about to end on a solemn note.

She can't do this anymore, not again.

She's just so tired.