Chapter 1

Ahh, the Lab. It felt so good to be returned to the wretched mess of a place- what with its over sanitation, the smell of disinfection and the constantly monitored hostages? Yes, yes. I assure you there's no place like home.

It was 1 of 4 rooms in the building, the other rooms informally known as the Snug, the kitchen and the consultation chamber. I myself was designated to the Lab. Let's just say... I had an upgrade. They sorted us according to 'mental stability' by putting us on one of the three walls. Each of the 3 walls contained 20 vertical hospital beds beset with 20 frightened children up to 3 years younger than myself. The Lab was for ages 11-15, and the Snug for years 7-10. Please don't ask about the other children below the age of 7... I don't quite know myself.

Wall 1 held the 'average patients' and therefore got an average amount of attention.

Wall 2 held the 'peculiar minded patients', and they were feared by everyone. Even the scientists treated them with wariness and alarm.

Wall 3 however, held the 'incurable patients' and they were never approached by the scientists unless a patient had raised their hand to ask a question. A lot of us were temporarily put on to Wall 3 if we asked too many questions. The permanent residents came into the Lab somewhat stunned as if they witnessed hell outside. There were only 3 of them and they were triplets. But what about me, you might ask? (Well you'll be told either way, apologies.)

I was at the end of Wall 2, right on the last strand of the Scientist's nerve before being moved. Let's just say I had an unreliable temperament and attitude. I was usually referred to as the most 'peculiar minded' of my Wall and I was given daily threats that 'if my attitude didn't improve I would be moved to Wall 3'. The scientists deliberately assigned me to this wall because of my insistent demands to know what the hell was going on. They even attempted to make the other children afraid of me, but the truth was they admired my bravery. They wanted to know just as much as I, what they were planning on doing to us in the Lab- but unlike me they were too afraid to ask.

Why?

Well, we were enclosed in a room full of strangers with no communication to the outside world or to our families. We had no information to tell us they were even alive. We were forbidden to ask what the purpose of the Lab was for and if we would ever leave. Every day we woke up to scientists observing us, sighing, and then writing a report about us on a clipboard. There was limited medical assistance apart from pain killers and bandages. There was a school about the 'dangerous world outside' and we were given two and a half meals a day.

***

Once I was dragged through the wooden doors that led into the Lab, I took in the familiar surroundings. I could pick out my dishevelled bed from a mile away: the rodent bitten covers, the ageing yellowness of the mattress, and even my brick of a pillow.

Yes, I was so lucky to have the worst bed in the building. I loved feeling the springs under my body every night as I tried to keep away the endless nightmares.

The bald man tightened his grip on my shoulder for 'extra reassurance' as he led me to my rock. He seemed to take particular pride in shoving me onto it.  As he walked away I distinctly heard him mutter 'imbecile' under his breath. I watched him peeve another hostage with much distaste- partly because of the way he scuffed his shoes as he walked which left a sound like nails on a blackboard. As always, I face planted my pillow.

It's always good to be back...

For a while I just lay there sprawled on my front without a care to the world. I took in the smell of must emanating from my mattress sheet until a nimble finger prodded me in the back. I turned with a scowl to the source. A newbie.