Chapter 16

Bleeding. The sky was bleeding. What had we done?

As we walked towards the Lab the sky groaned behind us as if the weight of the war was too much for it to handle. It groaned like it couldn't stay strong for much longer.
I wanted to save the sky- to call a parlay or a cease fire. What had it done to deserve our mess?
Once it was beautiful with a different colour every day- but at that moment... it was orange.
Orange with the blaze of fire.

***

Walking down that bloodied path with Ailis limping next to me, I recalled a time when the world was beautiful. It was a fine Spring day and my parents took me to the highest point of the village: Shepherd Hill. We had a picnic with sandwiches, strawberries, and fresh orange juice and we just sat and enjoyed the last piece of freedom without saying a word to each other.
It was bliss.
The sky was a cloudless royal blue and it didn't have a care to the world. The grass was cold and striped with dew, and the houses below had men, women and children socialising with neighbours for the first time because it was freedom day where everyone could wear and do whatever they wanted. It was a day that happened only once a year- but it was the greatest day of everyone's year. It was a day that expressed how things used to be in 2015 instead of 3015- where technology was advancing but people still had the freedom of speech. It was a day that expressed how quickly the world had changed... and how quickly it could all change again.

It was a day before the war.

***

I shook my head from my stupor.
That day was a long time ago. The present was different.
I had to find mother and Noah before it was too late. I had to support Ailis and her leg.
I had to be there for Avery and his arm. I had to seem happy for Aldo so he didn't whine.
I had to fix the broken pieces.
Amidst my self-motivation I heard a sharp intake of breath and a movement in my peripheral vision. She was on the floor before I could catch her.
"STOP." I cried out as I crouched to help Ailis. The little girl stood beside me and clung onto my shirt.
"What happened?" I asked,
"I can't go on. Go with out me." She spoke so melodramatically I nearly groaned.
"Look, I'm not good with motivational speeches but I understand your leg hurts. It probably hurts so much you can't move, but we can't delay any more time. We have to keep moving."
"I can't." She choked. I looked up and saw we were 10 feet away from the Lab. It protruded out of the fires as if taunting us.
"Avery... Avery doesn't have an arm, okay? When we find my mother, she will fix you and Avery because she is the best damn human you will ever meet. If you don't get up we'll lose and everyone will die. Sure, you're in pain but aren't we all? You're the eldest here and so I understand you would be in the most pain. What with the pressure of supervision, maturity and leadership? And on top of all that you've got your secret about your parents and Noah's imprisonment! Please. Don't make me act the leader. We are so close and I swear. I swear. Everything will be fixed if you just come with us. Just stand up." I spoke softly to encourage her to stand. At first she began to sob and she held her head in her hands, but slowly- ever so slowly, she pulled herself upwards and clutched onto my arm for support. Once again the 5 of us moved towards the Lab. Ailis dug her nails into my shoulder and dragged her leg across the gravel; the sound making me grimace. It was like a car wheel being stuck in snow: desperate to move but steadily giving up. I had to grit my teeth through the pain and Aldo nudged his head under my arm as if to say, "Don't lose your fight."

 He gave me enough strength to pick up my pace and approach the hell I had lived in for 8 years in under 5 minutes.

We stumbled up the stairs and threw open the door.
A scientist saw us, widened her eyes, dropped her clipboard, and ran towards the Lab.
Shortly afterwards, the bald man appeared and began to stride towards us.
All of a sudden he stopped, put his hand on the wall and said:
"Why attempt when you can't achieve?"  He then grinned mischievously and released Aldo's sister: Wilma.
"Let the game begin." I muttered, and I signalled Ailis, Aldo and Avery to charge.