Chapter 3: Whispers in the air

It is already getting light when Carl comes back to the Dowager Countess' house.

The rain has finally stopped but the wind still blows over the treetops. Even though it's fresh outside he doesn't wear a jacket. Somehow he loves to feel the wind on his skin and his hair. When the wind destroys his prepared hairstyle it is like it's the only time in his planned life where order isn't important in first place. 

A bat flies by. Carl watches her go and still enters the entrance. A servant takes his hat - it's a wonder that it didn't fly away - and Carl mumbles a polite "Thank you" before he takes the stairs to the upper floors. 

The little stroll to the sea at the morning did him good - even more the risky and thrilling jump in the water. The sea was cold and dark and a true mess but when his head came into the water it was an unbelievable experience. The sun appeared over the horizon and the light reflected on the stormy sea.

Nonthereless he's very happy that he came out with all his bones and unharmed.

After this refreshing morning Carl feels ready for the new day and when he takes the last steps of the stairs he even starts to whistle. 

Arriving the upper floor his eyes wander to the room of the Dowager Countess' new guest, Miss Edwina Sharma. It was a real surprise for them to see the young woman here after he ...

His thoughts are interrupted when a woman he doesn't know walks past him.

"Excuse me, Your Royal Highness", the woman asks out of breath. "This castle is so immense, I will really need some time to find my way around here. All these stairs and floors and rooms ..."

He blinks and stops her monologue politely. "I am sorry, what exactly can I do for you?"

"Oh. Forgive me. It's just ... after this long journey, I think I am still a bit overtired." The young woman takes a deep breath. "I am Lucia, the society lady of Miss Edwina Sharma. Do you know where her room is?"

"Isn't it still a little bit early for Miss Sharma to be woken up?", Carls asks curious.

"Oh, no, or, yes, I mean ... usually it would be a little bit early indeed but she is not a big late riser."

The society lady really knows how to talk, Carl thinks and tries to hide an amused laugh. 

"Soooo?", he asks lifting an eyebrow.

"The driver", she finally comes to a conclusion. "Unfortunately he got sick over night and I wanted to inform Miss Edwina about this circumstance. I bet it's because of the horrible weather of the last days. I'm feeling so sorry for him. Poor Robinson."

"Her room is just over here." He points at the door. "I've seen here walking in the previous evening after your arrival."

Miss Edwina Sharma arrived at the late afternoon. That's why she retired already after dinner. 

"Thank you very much, Your Royal Highness." The brunette society lady sinks into a fairly deep curtsy that would have been fitting for his uncle The King, then rushes past him to knock on said door. After a short wait she enters. 

Carl stands there for a while, then shakes his head in amusement and walks the few steps further to his room. Hopefully the driver would feel better soon. 

He sits down at his couch with a wonderful view from the window to the east, where the sun is now rising above the treetops. 

Coming back to his previous thoughts Carl realizes that he did know this society lady. She was with Miss Edwina Sharma at the inn the other day where Miss Edwina asked the host for the right way. He laughs at the funny memory.

Bucks, the host of the inn, is a smart businessman and it was really amusing to see a naive young lady from London's society totally confused. But of course Carl was so kind to help her. How should she know about the life outside of a protected and wealthy home if noone told her?

His dear brother Friedrich most likely would have reacted the same way. He was a wonderful brother but like most of his family members he doesn't know a lot about the normal people outside of palaces' walls. 

Carl didn't grow up any different but someday he started to visit the village near his home and to interact with the people. When he's on the road he likes it even more to get a climpse in the culture and behaviour of other countries. 

But back to Miss Edwina. That she is a lady of higher society is quite obvious to him. Her behvaiour in the inn showed it and the fact that she's a guest of Lady Blithisfield just like Friedrich and himself proves it too. The infamous, charming and wealthy Dowager Countess would never host somebody under her dignity. 

Friedrich told him after dinner that their aunt The Queen had arranged Miss Edwina's stay at Lady Blithisfield's home - together with the two princes. It seems like his beloved auntie forgot to tell Miss Edwina that there is another prince staying at Weymouth - himself. 

He laughs. Friedrich made it clear that The Queen wants to see a ... closer blond between the two of them so probably that's why she didn't even take a second to mention her other nephew. But that doesn't bother him. He's the second son, so he is less attractive for his family but that's alright. It gives him the chance to be more free than his older brother. 

Carl glances at his pocket watch. Soon he could ring for his valet. Poor Jamie, he doesn't want to pull him out of bed to early.

He hears quite voices on the other side of the door. Probably Miss Edwina with her society lady. 

Well, he thinks and grins a bit, Miss Edwina would surely be a pretty sister-in-law for him. And he saw her furtive glances in direction of his brother - even though she really tried to hide it. But Carl doesn't miss anything. He just wonders whether Friedrich could be busy otherwise ... Hasn't he told him recently about the princess?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// I wish you a merry Christmas! Have a wonderful und peaceful time. //

A Christmas card from the late Queen as Princess in 1949 with young Prince Charles 

© Royal Collection Trust