CHAPTER 53: FEAR REFLECTIONS

Y/N's eyes locked onto those of the demon sitting up on the ground in front of her, captivated by her appearance unlike any other demon she'd ever seen.

The pup's curiosity about the creature in front of her made her forget the question she was asked.

Her attention came back as she saw the eccentric demon's pink eyes go to the beanie she was holding, so she extended her arm to offer it to her.

Y/N: Is this y-?

Before she could finish her sentence, the demon girl snatched the beanie from her hand and placed it on her head, leaving only her gray feathered hair and trembling beak visible as she turned her back on her, still sitting on the cold floor.

The hellhound tilts her head and frowns, uneasy. She crawls over to the feathered teen.

Y/N: Are you ok?

The demon bird's voice was fragile and trembling.

Octavia: I'm fine..

Y/N:  Are you lost?

Octavia:  I'm not, now go away!

The owl girl curled up further into a ball and hugged her knees with one arm while covering her face even more with her beanie. The answer she gave Y/N wasn't enough to convince her that she was okay, and it was even less so when the little hellhound could see in the reflection of the mirrors tears falling from the girl's face.

Y/N extends her arm towards her, but hesitates. That owl demon doesn't seem to want her help, however, she's seen that pose too many times at the foundation, and she recognizes when someone's not fine.

That girl may be much older than her, but now she looks like a scared little girl..

The kid lowers her arm before touching the teen's shoulder.

Y/N:  Are you afraid?

The owl demon's short breathing pauses for a second before responding.

Octavia: ... I don't want to talk about it..

The young hellhound could see in the reflection of the mirrors surrounding them how the teenager was wiping away her tears as she tried to control herself. Y/N looks around confused, not knowing how to help with the answer she was given.

Y/N: Sooo.. what do you wanna talk about?

Octavia: I don't want to talk about anything! Just leave me alone!

Y/N's ears droop at the sharpness of the bird demon, but she hardens her gaze, determined.

The feathered teenager keeps her gaze diverted towards the ground, tormented by her thoughts, until she feels a small push on her back, she lifts her beanie to see that the pup sat next to her, back to back. She frowned, frustrated at the hellhound.

Octavia: What are you doing?

Y/N: Not talking about anything..

The teenage demon waves her feathered tail, irritated by the kid not taking the hint.

Octavia: What part of "I want to be alone" don't you understand?

Y/N: Maybe you're not lost... but I am.

Octavia: Oh..

She looks in front of her, seeing her and the kid's reflection in the mirrors around her.

Y/N: It's hard to know where I'm going when I only see myself everywhere. How come you're not lost? Have you been here before?

The owl demon sniffs and sits up straighter, absorbed by the memories as she looks up.