Old Family and New Friends

The night sky of Jump City was lit up by massive balls of coloured fire and sparks. A carnival was in town, and the Titans chose to indulge themselves. Beast Boy and Cyborg were trying their best with the carnival games. Robin and Starfire were "hanging out" on a Ferris wheel enjoying the fireworks show together.

And Raven was being as aloof as always.

Cyborg and Beast Boy were stiff with anticipation as Beast Boy readied his final ring toss. Cyborg was muttering various equations and trajectories into Beast Boy's ear, and Beast Boy was very close to punching his best friend. Beast Boy tensely flicked a ring towards the centre of the box of bottles.

Judging by the cheers, Raven guessed that they had won. She rolled her eyes when she saw Beast Boy's prize. There had been something that had been holding her attention for the past half hour. 

There was a man who seemed shockingly out of place among the crowd. He was plainly dressed but in a fashion that a man on the run would. The cap and the sunglasses at night were a dead giveaway. 

He had just been standing there in the middle of the boardwalk still as a ghost, looking up at the fireworks. His presence didn't seem to register with people he wasn't invisible. Just unimportant.

Raven had a feeling that that man was the presence she had been feeling. Beast Boy tried to hand Raven his prize, but Raven quickly walked off, surprising the other two Titans who shrugged.

As she approached the man, she felt a sort of excitement. As if she was doing something that should never be done. She was standing right next to him but he paid her no mind.

"They're nice." He said softly as a bright barrage of colours erupted in the sky, signalling the finale of the show.

"They're alright," Raven said curtly. "Who are you?"

"Someone you shouldn't be talking to." 

"Then why have you been following us?" The man doesn't answer until the finale ends. He bows his head.

"What do you think you're here for, Rachel? My answer is somewhere in there." The man finally turns and looks down at her. Raven doesn't know how to respond to the sound of her birth name. She looks at the man's features and how even behind the deep black sunglasses, a pair of yellow dots almost pierced right through her.

A voice from behind Raven snaps her attention away. "RAVEN!" Robin called her over as the other Titans ran off. When she turned back to face the man. He had already vanished. After looking around for a few seconds, Raven pulled up her hood and flew off.

Robin explained during the run to the end of the pier that Starfire was being chased by a large mechanical squid. The fight was tough, and it was as strong as a silverback gorilla proven by how it flung Beast Boy like a baseball.

Thanks to a combination of teamwork and Robin's quick thinking, the squid plummeted into the ocean.

Despite Beast Boy's aching back, the team was unharmed. Starfire remained confused. The attack was sudden and unprovoked she was positive that she'd never seen something like that before in her life in response to Robin's questions.

Back in the tower, though, Starfire immediately lit up. "Come, friends. I shall sing to you the song of gratitude, all six thousand verses!" Despite the relatively grim idea, the room practically lit up around her.

"I see you haven't changed a bit." An unknown oddly purring voice comes in front of Starfire. Raven tilted her head to see in front of her extraterrestrial friend.

An almost exact copy of Starfire with black hair and clothes stood with open arms as the red Starfire squealed towards them. "SISTER!"

The two embraced for a moment, and Starfire's sister grinned towards the rest of the Titans. "I was always saving Starfire when we were little."