Chapter 34: She's Awake

I didn't think I'd get a wink of sleep with worry about Beth but my adrenalin had obviously run out and I didn't open my eyes until the first rays of the sun were peeking through the hospital window.

I was warm and comfortable and I hated it. Mattia had obviously repositioned me during the night because I was currently rested against his body with his large arm holding me tight and my right leg held firmly across his stomach. This was his preferred sleeping position and I hated how well we fit together in sleep. If only that was true once we were awake.

Not wanting him to think I was comfortable in this position I gave him a shove and he immediately woke up. He'd always been a light sleeper so I knew it wouldn't take much.

"You need to let me go. If I haven't already made myself clear I do not want your hands on me and I need to use the bathroom then check on my daughter. So move."

Instead of moving like I asked he curled me tighter into his body and nuzzled my hair before kissing the side of my head. He kissed my fucking head. How dare he!

"I'm trying to be quiet because Bethany is sleeping but if you don't let me up right this minute I will scream, and I know you're going to say you'll have me kicked out of the room, but trust me when I say that if you do that I will ensure every news agency and federal agency in the country learns all your dirty secrets. You forget I grew up in the same life as you. I know exactly where all the bodies are and what the bank account numbers are too."

I think I shocked him with my words, nobody threatened Mattia. I felt his body stiffen at my threat and his hands released me. I quickly clambered over him but stopped before I entered the bathroom to drive my point home.

"You were so busy in your important life back in Nevada during our marriage that you didn't notice me. While you were neglecting me I don't think you realise how many times I heard you and your father openly discussing business. Heard what you had to say and filed that information away for a rainy day." I tapped my temple to make sure he understood I still remembered everything. "So don't threaten me again with regards to my daughter. The only way you'll get me away from her is to kill me. So if that's your plan do it now so I don't have to look at your face. Otherwise shut the fuck up and let me get ready for my day."

I knew he wouldn't take my disrespect well and before I could get the bathroom door open he hauled me against his chest.

"Do not think because you are my chosen one you can speak to me this way . I have killed for far less of an insult Angelique. You need to remember your place."

I could feel how angry he was with me by the tension vibrating through his body, yet his hold on my arms remained firm but not painful. I wondered if what I'd said would make him snap and lay his hands on me. I knew plenty of men who would have responded with violence to my statement.

"Don't make it so I feel the need to threaten you and we can co-exist. If you're going to force me home with you to that hell hole then I need you to understand I'm not the same girl who left. I have no more illusions about our marriage and would prefer that we find a way to live peacefully together for Bethany's sake. I will stay out of your life and you will stay out of mine. We can live separate lives. There are things we need to discuss about our daughter's future but that can wait. What can't wait is you thinking you can threaten to take her from me. She is the only thing that matters in my life, and if you try to take her from me you better kill me, because if you don't I'll definitely end your life."

With that I pushed myself away from his chest and he allowed it. I quickly closed and locked the bathroom door. I took my time showering and getting ready for the day. Having no interest in spending any more time in his presence than I needed to, I dawdled in the bathroom until there was a sharp knock on the door.