Doll House

"Being a ghost hunter makes you prey..."

"Everyone knows their jobs?" I asked my friends as I parked the van.

"Setting up the cameras and checking audio," said Steven.

"I'm checking for EMF," Sara said, "And fingerprints."

"And I got motion and the book," said Max. "If anything wants to write me their biography, they can do so. I hope for their sake it's got good grammar."

"Good... good," I said, feeling more reassured, "And everyone has their flashlights, crucifixes, all that?"

Everyone affirmed as they exited the van.

"Stay safe in there," I said. "Steven, get those cameras set up quick so I can monitor for activity. We'll catch this ghost in action."

"Hell yes we are," Steven replied as he jumped out of the back with the others, shutting the doors behind him.

Alone in the van with only my computer in front of me and the car's dimly lit dome light, I turned on my computer, letting it boot up the programs necessary for the night. Reaching for my walkie-talkie, I pressed the talk button to radio in with the group.

"Everyone, can you read me?"

"Affirmative Tin Man," said Max.

"No, that isn't my name," I replied, rolling my eyes. "I already said that."

"You're a man in a tin can," Max argued. "I don't see a better name."

"Fine, whatever, just go do your job. We'll discuss this later."

"Whatever you say, Tin Man."

I waited in silence for a few seconds before Steven radioed, "We are at the front door, proceeding inside."

"It is creepy in here," added Max.

"That's because there's no light on," Sara said.

"I found a switch," Steven said. There was a brief pause before he replied. "Nope. Electrical must be out. Flashlights on people."

"Aye aye," Max said.

A few minutes went by while I twiddled my thumbs, waiting for a feed from Steven. Not being able to provide over-watch made me most paranoid. Anything could happen during this time and I may be unaware.

My computer beeped, making me jump in my seat. I opened the program and expanded the infrared camera Steven had just put down.

"Boss, you see me?" he asked, waving his arms at the camera.

"That I can," I responded. "That's a good feed."

I observed the view the camera gave me. The family room had couches, chairs, a wall-mounted TV, a fireplace, and a tall bookshelf in the corner. Bowls and magazines were laid across the table in front of the couch in the middle of the room.

"Placing the second camera," Steven said as another feed went live on my end.

It was in the kitchen. The room formed an L-shape with standard kitchen wares and a kitchen table in the corner that the camera rested on. The place seemed abandoned mid-dinner preparation. Items laid everywhere, even the flour had toppled over and fallen on the floor, pouring its contents all over the ground.

"Third camera going up," Steven said. "This is the second-floor hallway."

I watched the camera go live, seeing the long hallway. Steven headed into a room at the far end of the hall. Opening it, he walked inside. I strained my eyes to see inside and noticed several toys scattered on the floor, with a dollhouse in the background.