3. helicopter boy.

flashback : atlanta camp

" Isn't schoolwork pointless anyways?" Hannah looks up from her algebra textbook again as Carl complains, again, sparing an amused glance with Sophia next to her. " The world ended."

Hannah blows a bubble with her blue airhead chewing gum, Sophia giggling when it pops.

" Carl." Lori scolds yet again, looking up from the berries she was washing. " I've told you already, you're not getting out of doing this. Might as well suck it up."

Carl huffs, picking up his pen again. Hannah can't concentrate, too anxious waiting for the city group to come back. They had been gone far longer than they should have.

Her brother usually did this alone, and now she really wishes he had. When it's just him, he's in and out, no problem.

It had been hours since they left, and Hannah was unable to concentrate. She threw down her pen on the paper and put her face in her hands, groaning loudly.

The two kids snickered as Lori stood, pulling the girl away and crouching in front of her with an exhale. " What's up, Hannah? You're not concentrating."

Hannah huffed out a laugh, throwing her arms up in exasperation. " What's wrong? What's wrong is that my brother is in the overrun city with a bunch of idiots who have no idea what they're doing and will likely get him killed!"

Her shouting attracts some attention, and Lori hushes her, taking her into the RV.

" Alright, alright, look. You don't have to do schoolwork, just...try not to snap at anyone, okay?"

" No promises. You're talking to me like I'm one of these younger kids and I'm not, I'm 16." Hannah rolls her eyes, as Lori leaves.

She couldn't understand why she was the only one stressed. They'd been gone for hours.

Usually, her brother would head in to the city alone, and be back in a minimum of an hour and a half. The longest he'd ever been was 3 hours, and that was only because he'd hit the jackpot on clothes for the littler kids.

She glanced around at the RV with a huff, before approaching Dale's bookshelf and skimming her eyes over all the various titles he had.

Her eyes lit up when she found a magazine tucked away behind a large book, pulling it out and being shocked by her luck. It was a People magazine, with Taylor Swift on the front page.

She sits down on the couch in the RV, resting her elbows on the table and opening the magazine to the first page, getting sucked into a story on Joe Jonas and Taylor Swift's whirlwind romance.

————

Before she knew it, another hour had gone by. She was reading the very last page of the magazine, debating on whether or not to take the Bruno Mars poster out when she hears a siren.

She furrows her brows, putting down the magazine and leaving the RV, seeing Shane, Lori and Carl making their way towards the RV.

" Talk to me, Dale!" Hannah glances up, only then spotting Dale perched on top of the Winnebago, his binoculars held to his eyes. She doesn't hear his response to Shane.

" Is it them? Are they back?" Hannah glances to her side as Amy stops beside her, the two sharing a hopeful glance.

" I'll be damned." Hannah hears Dale mutter, and she glances up at him, her hand over her eyes to shield them from the sun.

" What is it?" She calls up, and he looks down at her before glancing back out.

" Stolen car is my guess." The siren gets louder and louder, until a red sports car pulls into camp, coming to a stop in front of the RV.

Hannah's cheeks stretch into a beaming grin as her brother steps out of the drivers side, a cheeky smile on his face as he shuts the door behind him.

Amy practically pounces on him, asking him question after question about her sister as Shane tells him to 'just pop the damn hood'. This, paired with the blaring siren, makes Hannah's ears hurt.

Glenn pops the hood, and Shane does something to make the siren stop as Amy continues.

" She's okay!" Glenn exclaims, silencing the blonde. " She's fine, everybody is. Well, Merle not so much."

" Are you crazy, driving this wailing bastard up here? Are you trying to draw every walker for miles?" Hannah scowls at Shane. She's not sure when they collectively decided that he was the leader. To her, he's just a creep who's sleeping with his dead best friend's wife.

" I think we're okay." Hannah sends a small smile to Dale as he defends Glenn, the elderly man always having a soft spot for the siblings.

Hannah glances up as a truck approaches, and she can't wait anymore, rushing forward and bouncing into Glenn's arms.

" I thought those idiots had gotten you killed." Her voice is muffled into his shoulder, and he scoffs out a laugh, just barely resting his chin on the top of her head.

He didn't like how quickly his sister had grown up, now almost the same height as him.

" Can't get rid of me that easily." He responds, and Hannah pulls away to glance up at him, beaming the exact same smile as her brother. They were just the image of each-other.

She stays tucked into his side as they watch the group clambering out of the van, reuniting with their families. Hannah can't wipe the smile off of her face as she watches.

" How'd y'all get out of there?" Shane asks, and Glenn turns to face him, Hannah turning with him, her arms locked around his middle.

" New guy. He got us out." Hannah's ears perk up.

" New guy?" She asks, and he looks down, nodding.

" Crazy vato just got into town," Morales adds, before turning to the van. " Hey, helicopter boy! Come say hello."

Hannah watches as the man steps out, almost hesitantly. He's tall, his build lanky. He wears a dirty sheriff's uniform, he's certainly not Atlanta PD.

A silver watch is strapped around his wrist, and he steps forward slowly, hands on his hips. When he raises his head, Hannah spots his piercing blue eyes.

He freezes slightly, and Hannah glances in the direction he's looking, seeing Shane looking absolutely baffled. She furrows her brows, glancing between the two. Do they know each-other?

A moment later, he looks straight ahead, and his eyes widen for a moment, muttering a 'oh my god', as he rushes forward.

" Dad! Dad!" She hears, and she looks back to see Carl running to the man, absolutely crashing into his arms. Hannah looks up at Glenn, her mouth open in shock. He looks just as surprised, smiling at the pair.

The man, Carl's father, and Lori's husband, approaches the woman and pulls her in.

She feels Glenn clutch her shoulders a little bit tighter as they watch, and she wraps her arms impossibly tight around his torso, almost like if she holds him tight enough, he'll never leave.

If only that was true.

————

there's gonna be a ton of flashbacks in this story so I hope you guys are prepared :)
don't be a ghost reader! comments are much appreciated