6

HAZEL

The kiss electrified me. It made me see things I hadn't before. I walked away with an answer I had been looking for: the master's name. But I also found something I hadn't expected: desire.

Being pressed against the wall by his hard body, feeling his breath on me, and hearing his foul words frazzled me. I'm never frazzled. Everything in my life is scheduled. I always know what to expect: my cleaning duties, people to meet with, and time to read. I have a dull, repetitive schedule.

I'm rarely surprised, but the hooded man took my breath away when he kissed me. He exploded my grey life with color.

I return to the mansion and wait by the wall for the next shift change. The kiss keeps replaying in my mind. His lips had been searing hot. Ferocious and experienced. His tongue curled around mine, dominating me in a way I never had before. It was exhilarating.

His body was strong, angular, and broad. I didn't know bodies could be built like that. There was no fear when I was surrounded by his power and felt small and vulnerable. Instead, I felt delicate. Sensual. I was overwhelmed by the strange desire to submit to him.

I've been rebelling this entire year: Plotting, sneaking out of the estate, walking the halls at night, lying to my mother, and kissing masked men. I haven't been submissive at all. But the kiss from the hooded man had me melting through his fingers, ready to do anything for more.

I'm in over my head. I thought discovering the secrets of the estate would be difficult. It's a massive world full of people, rooms, and secrets. But these two mysterious men are proving to be much more puzzling.

When a cool breeze blows, I put on the hoodie. I think of the man I made it for. Should I see him again? What would he require if I asked more questions?

I blush at the thought of him getting greedier. I'm not sure what comes after a kiss. Perhaps he would want to run his hands over my body. I'm playing a dangerous game, but I can't stop returning for more. I want answers about the estate, but I want his touch, too.

I peek into the estate through the hole and hurry onto the grounds when the guards switch and take their smoke break.

I tip-toe down the dark, empty halls, squinting, although I know the halls like the back of my hand. I also know every supply closet. I cleaned the closets and ensured there was no clutter. I could easily slip inside any closet and not worry about a mop falling and revealing my location.

I've prepared many things to avoid getting caught. But I didn't think to protect myself from the two colossal men who have been bringing plenty of noise to my life. My heart has never beat so loudly, and my breathing has never been so labored. I didn't expect this mess.

I successfully sneak into my room and gently shut the door.

Gwen sits up, and my blood runs cold.

"Hazel?" she whispers.

I don't move. Don't speak. Don't think.

She yawns and rolls over, falling back asleep. Hopefully, she won't remember this in the morning. Gwen is a deep sleeper, so I thought I wouldn't have problems, but I might run out of luck.

I pull the oversized sweater off and set it on my small nightstand. Then I take my shoes off and silently crawl into bed. My heartbeat is slowly calming, but my body still brims with energy. My lips are restless. I keep biting them, pressing them together, remembering the male lips that kissed them.

– • –

In the morning, I eye Gwen closely. We dress into our maxi maid uniforms but don't exchange much other than a 'good morning.'