chapter nineteen

Miura never believed in deep down until she met Mihawk. She believed that what people showed in their hearts was what people were truly like, but then Mihawk, a powerful, dangerous pirate came along, and he changed that. The man who she thought would kill her one day because like a father to her, the father she'd lost has came right back in him.

That's how she knew something was off about Nami being an Arlong pirate. She knew they wouldn't just recruit a human for no reason, and she knew a human wouldn't join them for no reason, either.

But she never showed that. She never showed her empathy, she thought it made her weak. She had to remain stone cold, even if her mask was now off.

She stood overlooking the ocean with Luffy and Sanji, Sanji fishing as they watched him.

"I've never fished properly," Miura said, "Always got Mihawk to do the work on our ship."

"What about when you weren't with him?" Sanji asked.

"Small boat, I'd just grab what I could and I hope it was safe to eat raw."

"Surprised you're not malnourished."

"Well, I had a lot of pit stops."

The two smiled at each other, until Zoro approached, standing in between the two. "Quit flirting, we've got a mission."

"Flirting? We're- You know what, doesn't matter. Me and Sanji talking really isn't gonna affect if we find Arlong or not."

"And if we run into other pirates?"

"I think we'd have enough time to prepare. Stop being weird, Zoro." Zoro rolled his eyes and Miura turned her attention to Luffy. "You okay, bud?"

"I just want to know if Nami's okay."

"A beautiful, talented woman does not choose to ally herself with a pirate like Arlong. Nami clearly needs to be rescued."

"Her tattoo says different," Zorro said.

"Yeah, well tattoos don't tell the whole story. And like any woman, she's a mystery to be unravelled."

"I'm going," Miura said. She couldn't be bothered arguing with anyone, and she really wasn't sure where she stood on the whole Nami situation, so she instead walked over to Usopp.

"Like any woman?" Zoro asked.

"Just look at Miura."

Zoro inhaled sharply through his nose. "Nami made her choice."

"You don't know why."

"The only thing I wanna hear from you are dinner specials. You don't know Nami."

"Sounds like you don't know her very well, either, moss-head."

"And you certainly don't know Miura enough to bring her into your weird Nami defence argument."

"You're very defensive over her, you know."

"She's my best friend."

"Why would you stop your best friend from 'flirting' with someone."

"Because it's you, and you're-"

Luffy interrupted the two. "I'm sure Nami has her reasons. Whatever choice she makes, I just need to hear it for myself."

Usopp and Miura spotted and island, both yelling down to the other three in sync. "Land ho!"

As they approached land, Miura figured she'd have enough time to chill in her cabin for a bit, and Sanji seemed to have the same idea

"You think Zoro's right about Nami?" Sanji asked, "That she made her choice?"

Miura sighed, sitting on the kitchen counter. "I don't know, Sanji. I mean, maybe. But you're right about the fact she wouldn't do it for no reason. Still, maybe she's too far gone now."

"You weren't."

"What?"

"You were a pirate for years."

"I still am."

"Right, but it's different now. Isn't it? You're not alone, you're not as hostile, you've took off that mask. Because of this crew."

"I suppose so. I'm worried, though."

"About what?"

"We're going to fight the Arlong pirates, Sanji."

"You're better than them."

"A higher bounty doesn't make me better, I've beat them before, yeah, but I've been really off my game lately. Sure, his big speech the other day was a little radical, but he wasn't totally wrong, they're stronger than us. Not to mention we'd be completely outnumbered."

Sanji placed his hand on Miura's arm. "Hey, we just get the map and get out of there. We'll be alright."

Miura nodded, hearing footsteps approaching them and looking up to see Zoro. He walked past them and nudged Sanji, knocking him so his hand was no longer on Miura then grabbing a glass from the cupboard and fetching himself some water. Miura rolled her eyes, sick of his antics. He'd been like this since Sanji joined them, constantly complaining about their 'flirting', sending dirty looks their way every time they were even slightly close.

"Zoro," Miura said, sternly, "A word?"

Zoro nodded and the two walked into her cabin. She closed the door behind them, smacking his shoulder.

"Ow," he said, his voice not showing that he was even slightly hurt, "What was that for?"

"What the hell is your problem?"

"Do you want a list?"

"I mean with me and Sanji, Captain Smartass."

"So you're admitting there is a you and Sanji?"

"Yes, we're friends. Just like there's a me and Luffy, me and Usopp, me and you. Why do you hate me talking to him so much?"

"It's distracting you guys."

"Friendly conversation is distracting?"

"It's flirting."

"No it's not, Zoro, I don't like him like that!"

"How would you know, didn't you say you've never liked anyone?"

"That was a lie, idiot. Thats not the point, anyway. Even if I was flirting, it's none of your business, you know better than anyone that I wouldn't let someone else distract me from something I'm passionate about, and I think I've made it clear how passionate I am about defeating Arlong and about getting to the Grand Line. So what's your real reason for being so against it?"

"I don't trust him with you. He doesn't know you, what you've been through. No one does. I don't think I trust anyone with you. Not like that, anyway. I feel like I have to protect you."

"Protect me? Why would you need to do that?"

"Because I couldn't in the past. Not from those pirates. For so long I thought they took you from me, and I was so angry at myself for not being there. Do you remember our conversation in the well?"

"Briefly, I guess."

"I think I knew then. I told you you reminded me of Miura. It was like deep down I knew you were still with me. I almost said something else."

"How do you know Miura's dead?"

"I've asked every pirate I've come across if they know her. Not one has said yes. I've ran into most crews from the East Blue, someone would've known by now if she was alive. That's why I'm a pirate hunter. They killed the l- my best friend, and I won't stop killing them until she comes back to me. The Berry's just a bonus."

"Zoro-"

"We're here!" They heard Luffy yell. The two walked out of Miura's cabin and to the deck, they were at the Conomi Islands.