20. Back from the dead

Lisa had already slid over behind the wheel and was waiting for Marllowe to come back. The passenger side door opened up and the man climbed in. There was blood all over his face and a wince was frozen on his lips. He shut the door and gripped his leg tightly. "Let's go, Mrs. Neville. We are done here." He said in a pained and grating voice. 

That's when Lisa noticed the gunshot on his shin, the blood caked on his pants. "Oh no." She muttered and put the car in gear right away. 

"Sector 27. You know where that is." He said, gritting his teeth as he pulled out a small rope from under his seat and tore a piece of cloth from his shirt under the kevlar vest. He pressed the cloth on his wound and tied the rope around it tightly. 

"You sure, you are gonna be fine, Marllowe?" Lisa said as she floored the gas pedal. 

"Don't worry about me." He grit his teeth again as he put more pressure on his wound and tried to breathe more normally. "That girl in the back has stopped making any noise. We gotta get to 27 before she falls too deep into the dream state. Go faster, Mrs. Neville." 

Lisa shifted the gear and slammed harder on the acclerator. Other than the sequence panel and all the other cool gizmos, the driving functions of the truck were pretty much like any other automobile. 

Marllowe, pulled out a flask of whiskey from the dashboard. He took a sip before emptying the flask over his face. The alcohol streamed down his forehead, down his temple, down his cheek and sliding over his jaw, washing off the blood. 

That's when Lisa looked at his face for the first time. And she lost control of the steering for a second. 

"Y-You...it's you!?" She said, her voice trembling. "Marllowe isn't your real name! Y-You're that guy! The government had put your posters on each wall in Sector 21. They call you a terrorist!" 

He looked at her. "And does that bother you?" He smirked. 

Lisa scoffed. "Not in the least. I knew that it wouldn't be a normal person who'd get so reckless while trying to help me out. Also, I hate the government pigs for what they did to my husband." She said. Then her face sobered up for a bit. She frowned at the road ahead. "Um...did you...did you kill everyone on that plane?" 

"Nope. Not everyone." He said. "And no, they won't follow us for now." 

"Good to know." Lisa said as she kept driving. "Also, since it's obvious that you aren't just some guy with a tough sounding last name, I'm really curious to know what your real name is." 

He drained the last sip of whiskey left in the flask and let out a sigh. He looked out the window. "It's Erik," he said, "Erik Koehlwin."

#

"Erik, what's going on?!" Germaine snapped at him as Erik carried Cathy deeper into the house. Gemma rushed after him. 

"Get the key to the ice-box, Gemmie. The girl needs the shot!" He said as he disappeared in the hallway at the end of the living room. 

Clint and Marie watched the confusion from their spot on the stairs. That's when another familiar face walked through the decontamination unit. It was Lisa Neville. Clint was struck with guilt and awkwardness at the sight of her. 

"Where did Erik and his sister go?" Lisa asked the couple. 

"That hallway over there." Marie pointed a quivering finger at the corridor. 

"Thanks." Lisa nodded and rushed into the corridor, holding onto her belly protectively. 

That's when Marie took Clint's hand and led him downstairs.