1 - August

☆

☆.。.:*

    Midnight used to be my favourite time of night – the time today would become yesterday, and when tomorrow would become today. It was the time Abby and I would lie in bed together and talk until we'd fall asleep, kiss until we saw stars. We'd sometimes even be outside and watch the stars. Then it all fell apart.

Midnight sounds silent – or at least, it should be. Not here, though, in the middle of a busy city. There are always cars going back and forth, people walking around, students out drinking, and people working. Midnight these days can either look busy – busy wards, crowds of people waiting for me to help treat them on a night shift – or it can be completely calm on nights off like tonight when I should be in bed asleep. Instead, I'm walking down a road, trying to find the off switch for my fucking brain.

Silence is so underrated these days, especially in the dark, alone. For six months, it's been silent since Abby left, and it's been absolutely peaceful. I don't need more noise and aggravation in my life.

Most people would find the silence deafening, I suppose. Maybe that's the introvert in me finding peace when most people strive for other's company. Mum always said I was a lone wolf – ever since I was a baby, I would play alone and find nothing but happiness in it. Twenty-five years later, nothing changes. You'd think saving lives every night and seeing people being with their loved ones all emotional and upset would make me crave being around people, but no. I'd rather just walk around in solitude, enjoying the silence.

As I take another step forward, a runner comes into view. She speeds up, so I move a little to the right. Who the fuck runs at midnight? I suppose someone like me.

My eyes lock on her; tall, blonde, short green dress, holding heels in her hands—

Yeah, this is no runner. She's running away from something or someone.

As she gets closer, I notice a little more: her blonde hair is sticking to her forehead where she's sweating, her breasts are nearly spilling out of her dress, and she's barefoot.

"Help! Help me, please!" She calls. I turn my head, but I'm the only one on the street. "Hi, please! Can I borrow a phone or something? I know I look weird. It's my ex. He's following me. He has a knife! I need to just get away or phone for a lift from my friend. Please."

My eyes lift and I see someone coming around the corner: a big guy with dark hair. Muscles in all the right places to be strong. He speeds up again, and I can see what she means; he's got a fucking knife in his hand.

"Come on," I insist, grabbing her hand and rushing her into the next road along. I could just hand her my phone, but getting away first seems to be the better option right now.

We're both power walking, so I shuffle out of my hoodie and wrap her in it. "Here, wear this." When she puts one arm through, I take the heels from her hand.