Ch. 4 Game Day

I didn't get much sleep that night. I was so worried, and yet I didn't know why. I kept getting a weird strong feeling in my stomach, but I didn't have a reason to worry. We were playing Finland for our first game.

"It's game day." I smiled to myself, I looked at my alarm clock 8:45 am, ugh. I wanted to go back to sleep but knew how important this game was.

"Better get to rink." I said to myself, I got out of bed, I got dressed, and grabbed my hockey bag. I was ready for this game, or so I told myself, this was my first time representing my country, this was so important to not only me, but my family.

***

"Our first game is against Finland. Our starters will be, centre Luke Bedard, right wing Quinn Mauney, left wing Alessandra Russo, defence the Dallas brothers, goalie will be Connor Rylan." Coach Smith read off a piece of paper. We went out on the ice to warm up, we were shooting on Connor Rylan.

"On the ice for Team Canada we have starting, Luke Bedard, Quinn Mauney, Alessandra Russo, Dallas boys, and Connor Rlyan." They announced, if we won we would be playing Germany, the German's goalie Alexander C. Is unstoppable, he's crazy good, barely anyone or anything can get past him.

"And for Finland we have staring, Eino Autio centre, ring wing Kalle Laine, left wing Olavi Ahonen, and for goaltender Eetu Kodkinen." They announced for Finland, I was nervous as ever. I felt like I was going to throw up, I didn't have the time to be nervous, I shouldn't be nervous.

"Alright guys, let's get out there, and show them Team Canada, got it?" Coach Smith tried his best to hype us up, which wasn't working for my nerves.

"Please rise, and remove you're hated for the national anthem." Benjamin the announced, we skated up to the blue line, I took off my helmet, as "O'Canada" started to play. I got a better look at the players, they were all scrawny, and short. We'd see if they played like how they looked.

"Please keep standing with your hats off for the national anthem." Benjamin the announcer announced, the national anthem for Finland came on.

"Time for the puck drop!" The crowd cheered, I looked out to see many waving Canadian flags. I smiled to myself, we all got in our positions to start the game.

"I want a fair game okay?" Asked the referee, when he dropped the puck everything felt like a blurry, like slow motion. Luke won the puck drop, he pushed it through his legs. I went back and took the puck. My team scattered like mice.

"Here!" Yelled one of the Dallas brothers, I wasn't thinking to look I was so focused on the game, that I hadn't realized he got checked by the biggest guy on Finland, it was Mitch Dallas the little fella. We all skated toward him, the guy who checked him, was in the sin bin.

"You okay Mitch?" I asked him, helping him up, he nodded his head putting his hand to his temple. I helped him off the ice, we weren't off to a get start.

"Anderson, can you play defence?" Asked Coach Smith, Jase thought about it for a moment, then nodded his head.

"Sure coach." He said, Jase grabbed his stick, waiting for Coach Smith's call.

"Well go on! We don't have all day." Coach Smith said, Jase quickly made his ice onto the ice. Everything felt surreal, like a blur. I couldn't believe I was here right now, playing for Team Canada, I had dreamt of this ever since I was a little girl. And now I'm doing it, I wondered how proud my mom and my brothers and my grandparents were of me.

"Coming to you Russo!" Yelled Jase, I snapped back to reality when Jase yelled at me, I looked up as the puck came right to the blade of my stick. I started skating down the ice

"Jase Anderson has passed the puck to Alessandra Russo, she is flying down the ice right now, no one can stop her." I wasn't thinking, it was like my body had a mind of its own, controlling its self. I saw Jase pull up in front of Finlands goalie, I looked to him and nodded I passed him the puck, the goalie was blinded by Jase's tall figure.

"Jase Anderson has the puck, he shoots.... HE SCORES!" Yelled the announcers, Jase skated over to me as we hugged. Finland was tough, it almost the end of the first period we had just scored, 14:15 was left on the clock.

"Not bad Anderson." I teased, as I then skated away for face off.

***

I had just scored on Finland's goalie. 1 to nothing, I had a good feeling about this game, Alessandra had a wicked pass.

"Not bad Anderson." Alessandra teased, this girl... god what was I going to do with this girl. I shook my head as we skated over for face off.

***

I was watching Jase Anderson and Alessandra Russo on the ice. Jase passing to Alessandra, her skating up the ice, Jase getting in front of the goalie, her passing to him, him shooting and scoring. They moved like a dance, like they were made to be a team together, they just moved and played so fluently with each other, it was insane, and made me crazy jealous.

I wasn't the jealous type, till Alessandra came, and little Jase Anderson. But I wasn't going to let Jase Anderson to stand in the way of what I want.

***

Jase took face off, he of course had won. Jase never gave up till he was the best, in hockey and sometimes off the ice.

"Change it up!" Yelled Mr. Smith, everyone on the ice skated over to the bench for the others to go on. Me and Jase just of course had to sit down right next to each other.

"So... what's up?" Jase asked trying to make small talk, which wasn't working at all, I didn't want to be talking to Jase, especially after everything he has done.

"Sweating like a pig." I honestly answered, something Jase didn't know how to do. Jase was about to say something when the sound of the buzzer went off, signing the end of the first period.