Four

Roman James Oliver

Roman James Oliver

I wake up to my phone ringing, flipping over and grabbing it I barely glance at the caller ID before answering it.

"Morning Maddox," I grumble out, blinking my eyes to get used to the morning light streaming through the window, I had forgotten to close the curtains last night.

"Rome, sorry did I wake you up?" I glance at the alarm clock displaying the time.

"No it's fine, I needed to get up anyway, the kids need to get ready for the funeral." I was so tired I didn't even catch my slip up and Maddox was far too perceptive to let anything like that pass by him.

"The kids?" Maddox sounds extremely confused. "I thought you were there picking Theo up and bringing him home."

"Yeah well it's a long story, one I was hoping to tell you all in person but I think it's best that at least you know." Maddox and I were the closest in age, followed closely by Finn so the three of us had often banded together to take the best care of Noah and Jude, we had always taken turns but I always carried the brunt of it, after all, it was what I had signed up for.

"Don't tell me Theo didn't escape the teen pregnancy curse, he's only like seventeen." Maddox was joking, it had been a running joke in our family as my mother and father had conceived me at sixteen, Maddox and eighteen and Finn at nineteen, pretty unconventional but they made it work for several years before they couldn't do it anymore and they divorced before Jude was even born.

My mother had then given birth and turned around and never looked back, we hadn't seen her in almost two decades.

"No he doesn't have a kid, Natalia did." I pause for a second but Maddox doesn't say anything so I continue. "She had a little girl, on her birth certificate she's listed as another man's child but if you see her Madds, there is no doubt she's dad's kid, she looks just like him."

It was silence on the other end of the line, I didn't know how Maddox would take this news, he had never liked Natalia when dad and her were together, I was pretty neutral since I had better things to worry about and the others didn't really care. I was sure Maddox was ready to tell dad, 'I told you so' when Natalia left but he would never say those words out loud to ouor father.

"So what you're saying is Natalia had a child with dad, took off with Theo while she was pregnant and told another man to raise the child."

"Well according to Theo he wasn't around very much and the only good thing he did for Isabelle was leave her an inheritance." I quote my youngest brother.

"Isabelle, is that her name?" Maddox questions, hesitation in his tone. "How old is she."

"She's eleven, Isabelle Skyla soon to be Oliver. The DNA test Natalia had done helped speed up the process of me gaining custody of her." I sit up, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed. "She's adorable, Madd, you'll love her."