chapter 13

After meeting with Chu Mingfeng, Yuan Li returned the management to Madam Yang.

Madam Yang gladly took over the responsibility. Upon learning that Chu Mingfeng had given three recommendation letters to Yuan Li, she specifically instructed Chu Hechao to accompany Yuan Li to visit the esteemed scholars and officials.

In the past few days, Chu Hechao had been busy exploring ways to secure provisions by visiting the five major military camps. When he received the news from Madam Yang, he was in the training ground observing the training of the central army. Irritated, he returned to the mansion, his body covered in sweat.

Yuan Li stood refreshingly under the eaves of the mansion, with rosy lips and white teeth, waiting for him. When he saw Chu Hechao, his eyebrows and eyes gently curved, and his fair complexion resembled the morning mist. "General, you're back."

The tall man walked quickly to his side, sweat beads trickling down his jaw. His handsome eyebrows carried a hint of dampness as he glanced down at the envelopes in Yuan Li's hand and casually asked, "Who are they?"

Yuan Li replied, "Shao Fu Shangshu Zhou Yukan, Taiwei Zhang Liangdong, and Sili Xiaowei Cai Yi."

The official system of Northern Zhou was somewhat complex, resembling the Three Excellencies and Nine Ministers system, but with the addition of an imperial cabinet that checked the powers of the Three Excellencies and Nine Ministers. Later, the Emperor established the Monitoring Bureau as a balance to the Imperial Cabinet.

The five ministers in the Imperial Cabinet were appointed directly by the Emperor or recommended by courtiers, and they held great power. However, after the Emperor established the Monitoring Bureau, the eunuchs gained more of the Emperor's trust and indulgence, gradually suppressing the power of the Imperial Cabinet.

As for these three officials, the Taiwei was one of the Three Excellencies, the Shao Fu Shangshu was one of the Nine Ministers, and the Sili Xiaowei specialized in overseeing the officials in the capital. They were all prominent figures.

"Chu Mingfeng seems to have great intentions for you," Chu Hechao chuckled, lifting his eyelids. "Sister-in-law, which minister do you want to visit first?"

Yuan Li took out the letter addressed to "Taiwei Zhang Liangdong" from the envelope. "I only intend to visit the Taiwei."

Taiwei Zhang Liangdong was the Prime Minister of the Imperial Cabinet and held the highest military position in the country among the three officials. At first glance, it seemed natural for Yuan Li to choose Taiwei, but in reality, the Taiwei did not have real power. Although it sounded good in theory, it was merely a position to take the blame for the Emperor. Whenever there was a natural disaster or a calamity, the Emperor would remove the Taiwei and ask for accountability. On the other hand, the Shao Fu Shangshu and the Sili Xiaowei were different. Although their official ranks were not high, they held substantial power.

Yuan Li was not a shortsighted person. He just felt that there was more to Chu Mingfeng's serious illness. In this critical moment, it would be better for him to avoid dealing with high-ranking officials who held real power.

Moreover, although the position of Taiwei was a lousy one, Zhang Liangdong himself was a renowned scholar of the time, well-versed in classics and skilled in poetry. Countless people wanted to meet him every day. If Yuan Li could receive a word of praise from Zhang Liangdong, his reputation would quickly spread in Luoyang.

Chu Hechao looked deeply at Yuan Li and threw his large sword to a servant before returning to the mansion to change his clothes.

When they arrived at the Taiwei's residence, they saw a long line of people waiting outside, all of whom wished to visit Zhang Liangdong. Among them were also many students from the National Academy. Two servants skillfully placed four bamboo baskets in front of the gate, waiting for people to line up and put their letters of visitation and poems in the baskets. Two baskets were already full.