chpt.7

-- NEDZU WASN'T SURE HE LIKED WHAT HE WAS SEEING.

He had heard many things about Dazai Osamu. The man was described as handsome, tricky, lazy, devilishly intelligent, and many others.

But now...

Seated at that table, in front of a hoard of journalists, was another person. A man with a dark aura, a sharp edge, like a monster you didn't want to awaken.¹⁴

Well the League had done it ; and neither the black suit nor the dark eyes promised anything good for them.

«- NEDZU-DONO ! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE REPEATED ATTACKS ON U.A'S FIRST YEAR HERO COURSE STUDENTS ?!»

He leaned into his microphone.

«- It must be recognised that the League has chosen class 1-A and 1-B as their predilection targets. However, both of their attacks were unsuccessful, and resulted in heavy losses on their side.»

The journalists that weren't directly filming finished scribbling furiously his answer down.

«- NEDZU-DONO ! WILL SERIOUS MEASURES BE TAKEN TO KEEP OUR CHILDREN SAFE FROM VILLAINS ?!»

«- For the students security, U.A is currently finishing an set of dormitories, to welcome all of our students within the school's walls, without any regards concerning their sectors or levels. Of course, their integration will only be done with the agreement of their legal guardian.»

Whispers and hushed questions exploded in the room, filling it with much more noise than expected.

«- AIZAWA-SAN !» all heads and cameras turned towards the cleaned up Eraserhead. « AIZAWA-SAN, NUMEROUS SOURCES SHOW THAT THE INITIAL TARGET OF THE VILLAINS WAS BAKUGO KATSUKI, A STUDENT THAT HAS ALREADY SHOWN A PROPENTION TO VIOLENCE IN THE PAST ! WAS THEIR OBJECTIVE TO RECRUIT HIM TO THEIR CAUSE ?!»

Aizawa sharp intake of breath may have passed above the interviewer's head ; but everyone at the table heard it. The man squared his shoulders, and looked at the journalist dead in the eye.

«- Bakugo, is a spirited, intelligent boy, with a powerful Quirk. His words are often harsh, but his heart is dedicated to his dream, which is to become a hero. Neither him, or any of his comrades, would ever work with the League of Villains. They are determined future Heroes, who will always search for the right solution, and not the easiest one.»

A short silence fell onto the room.

«- AIZAWA-SAN ! THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THE LEAGUE ATTACKS YOUR CLASS, AND THE SECOND TIME YOU FAILS TO PROTECT THEM ! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ?»

«- It is true, that the League attacked twice class 1-A ; it is also true, that in those two cases and in either that would be to come, I am ready to put myself between myself and the danger. My life is less important than keeping my students, our future, alive. I do not search to excuse my mistakes and failures. But those last few weeks have reminded me that we are humans, and that human life is a fragile thing.»¹⁵

Oh, the journalist didn't have many answers to that. Was there a response, really, asked himself Nedzu. What do you say to the man who litteraly gives his life to protect their children ?

«- DAZAI-SAN ! YOU AND NAKAHARA-SAN WERE THE FIRST ON THE SCENE ! IF YOU KNEW OF THE ATTACK, WHY DIDN'T YOU ARRIVE SOONER ?!»

Dazai chuckled, and time seemed to freeze. The man unfolded himself, long, dark limbs made their way onto the table, long and thin fingers taking a hold of both his microphone and its cable.

Many withered in their seats.

«- What an interesting question. The Agency has been working, for quite some time, on the League's case. It is difficult to anticipate the moves, of an adversary with the hability to teleport. It is even more difficult, when said adversaries are ghosts, people wearing aliases and sometimes no real names. And it is also difficult to point all of the League's members, when its leader was smart enough to surf onto Stan's wave of popularity to enroll new recruits.» the detective paused. « This society, is harshly unbalanced. Useful, powerful and 'heroic' Quirks are favoured. Meanwhile, 'villainous' Quirks, many mutant ones, as well as the absence of any are frowned upon, and those people are pushed to the edges of the society, where they are ignored, forgotten, if not used as boucs émissaires.»¹⁶

You could've heard a pin drop. Many openly gaped at the man. All he had just said was true ; but it was the truth no one wanted to hear, the one that was conveniently ignored.

«- Now, to answer your question. The Detective Agency is based in Yokohama, which is, I'm sure you know, in Tokyo. Musutafu isn't exactly next door. And you may also know, that the training camp's location was kept secret, in hope of protecting the student. Well, that didn't work.» he gave a smile way too full of teeth. « The very moment I realised the camp was going to be attacked, I had to call Nedzu-dono here, to get its location, before travelling all the way from Tokyo to it. I'm sure the police would be delighted to give you the list of speed limits my partner and I ignored to arrive on time.»

All over Japan, people gaped at Dazai Osamu.

|

¹⁴: yes, nedzu and co are totally seeing the demon prodidy.
i consider it an analogy of chuuya's corruption ; dazai may have join the light, but his dark era is still there, ready to take back the control if needed.

¹⁵: concerning the nedzu/aizawa interview, i have actually no memories of how it went in canon, and didn't bother to check.
let's say the outcome of the attack wasn't the same, and so their reaction was different.

¹⁶: free society critique !
wow, that's been waiting for a long time now.
you may have noticed dazai said 'this society' and not 'our society' : chuuya and him do not consider mha as their world, and so not as their society. eri is their daughter, the agency is their agency, but that's all.
their society is one were abilities are rare, where brains are favoured over brawns, where every moves are ones of someone's chess game, and where in the end, it's every man for themselves.
so, no, not their society.