Chapter 3: The Carriage Ride

Magnus Drewmond is a tall man. He looms over me like the thunderheads in the sky. His gaze remains unwavering as he waits for me to decide to travel with him. It feels like his eyes are cutting through my little lie, peeling off my Rose disguise, petal by petal, to reveal the runaway bride beneath. I hide the engagement ring behind my back.

"I'd hate to trouble you," I murmur coyly, staring at him from under wet eyelashes. I wiggle the loose ring from my finger, tucking it into my palm. I play with my hair to draw his attention away from my left hand, then slip the ring into my dress pocket.

"I'd be more troubled to let a young lady, such as yourself, get lost in the woods and eaten by wolves," Magnus says. "We already have a carriage waiting for us."

"If you're already heading to town, I suppose it would be safer to travel together," I say warily. Magnus smiles again. I intended to steal a horse from the stables, or walk, if it came down to it, but I never did count on rain. As if to secure my choice, thunder growls and the storm unleashes a deluge upon us.

Lenette groans and rolls her eyes with a practiced ease, scuffing her little boots in the gravel petulantly. "You're worse than Father!" she shouts over the pouring rain then kicks her brother's shin.

"Ow." Magnus feigns a limp. "You foul beast!"

Lenette sticks her tongue out at her brother then marches around the hedges. Magnus follows, glancing back to check that I'm a pace behind him.

The beaded strap of my reticule digs into my shoulder, so I switch it to the other side. The small bag bounces against my hip. I crammed it to the brim with sentimental items, money, and any valuables I could find.

My black velvet dress clings to my legs. The fabric absorbs every drop of frigid rain, weighing heavier and heavier on me as I trudge through mudpuddles. I wipe water from my eyes as we leave the garden and stalk down the cobbled path, sticking to the shadows cast by manicured hedges.

The carriage isn't in front of the large fountain, right outside the manor, as I'd expected it to be. I frown, wrapping my arms around myself as my teeth chitter together.

"It's a bit farther down the way," Magnus says, as if sensing my discomfort. He points to the main road. Faint lantern light twinkles tauntingly through the trees. "My friend Jack is waiting."

The scruffy child spins around and walks backwards. "A proper gentleman would offer the lady his jacket," Lennette says with a scorn only mastered by preteen girls.

"Ahh..." Magnus groans, then looks guiltily over at me. "Miss Rose, would you care for my –"

"No. No, thank you," I say, waving my hand about. "Honestly, you look as soaked as I." His suit jacket wasn't meant for rain.

"Seems I'm the only one who dressed for the weather," Lenette says, grinning spitefully, as we step out onto the main road. The trampled filth is marred with ruts, formed by passing carriage wheels. The miniature gullies fill with muddy water, rushing downhill and cutting the ruts deeper.

I sigh in relief as I spot the lantern-lit carriage through the grey blur of midnight rain. Lifting my dress in an unladylike manner, I pick up the pace, nearly running. Mud ruins my shoes and splashes onto my favorite black stockings. Magnus simply lengthens his strides. His long legs cover far more ground than mine. Lennette runs to keep up with us.

The carriage door swings open, and a man sticks his head out, but not far enough to get his flawless copper curls wet. "Took you long enough!" the man snaps, his white suit jacket glowing eerily under the flickering lantern light. "Get in! Get in! We're going to be late!"