- SEVEN -

There are approximately thirty hours from Utah to Canada

Thirty. Hours.

And Brandon wants to divide the drive up into three days. I guess I should be grateful that my kidnapper cares about our rest along the way? Even more grateful that he knows about the GPS tracking system in the Mercedes. I knew I needed to ditch Ken's car but I probably wouldn't have done that until this afternoon, which would've been way too late. As much as I hate to admit it, Brandon is sort of a...blessing in disguise.

He also said something about stopping at a few "safe houses" for food, shelter, and cash. Which means this will work in mine and Nova's favor too. As long as we stick close to this expert criminal, Ken can't find us.

I don't know how he does it, but all it takes is for Brandon to call her name once, and Nova forsakes the ball pit and comes hurtling at us with sunny eyes and ruddy cheeks. Panting, Nova hops onto the third stool while I ready her juice.

"Did you have fun, bug?" I ask.

She nods. "Uh huh, the funnest! I played with Awthor. He's my fwiend."

Both Brandon and I glance back at a redheaded boy with glasses. Arthur, I presume. Nova waves at him and he waves back.

"Hm, you don't say," Brandon says, folding his arms, appraising the kid from afar. "Seems like a cool enough dude. I trust your judgment."

My heart melts, thankful Brandon doesn't appear to mind her interaction with others. After all, it's not like she knows she's a hostage.

Ken, on the other hand, wouldn't even let me drive Nova to the park. He wouldn't let any of her church friends over nor would he enroll her into preschool. So Nova's a bit past due when it comes to playing with kids her own age and doing normal four-year-old activities.

"That's awesome, Nov." I brush some of her curls back and kiss her temple. "Now eat up because we have a long day of driving ahead of us."

"Can Awthor come over to play when we go back to Daddy?" Nova asks, swallowing a huge bite. "He wants to see my twampoline."

I stiffen. Earlier I had asked Nova if she was okay not seeing Daddy for a long, long time, but it never occurred to me that a child probably only views a very long time as a couple of hours. To her, it must feel like our little adventure ends here and now.

"No, bug. You can't invite your friend over because we aren't going back to Daddy. Daddy's—" I stamp my mouth, giving Brandon a panicked look. "Daddy is..."

"He's not a good man," Brandon finishes unapologetically.

"Brandon—"

"That's why you and sissy are with me now," he continues. "I'm going to keep you guys safe." Nova's eyes widen as Brandon leans in, an elbow propped on the table. "Listen, ladybug. You're a big girl, right?" She nods. "Well I'm going to be honest with you because I think you can handle it."