- EIGHT -

Brandon is in the middle of drumming his thumb and forefinger on the window crack when a succession of prolonged beeps interrupts that piña colada song about two hours into our escape to Canada

Then, a male robo voice streams through the speakers, prickling my skin and spiking my anxiety.

SWEET VALLEY COUNTY POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING THE ABDUCTION OF FOUR-YEAR-OLD NOVA SCOTT WITH LIGHT BROWN CURLS AND BROWN EYES, APPROXIMATELY THREE FEET TALL. SHE WAS LAST SEEN AT 9:30 PM WEARING A SLEEPING BEAUTY NIGHTGOWN.

SWEET VALLEY COUNTY POLICE HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE SHE WAS ABDUCTED BY HER 19-YEAR-OLD HALF-SISTER, NATALY COLLINS, WHO HAS MEDIUM DARK SKIN, SHOULDER LENGTH CURLY HAIR, AND BROWN EYES. THE SUSPECT IS BELIEVED TO BE DRIVING A G-WAGON MERCEDES, LICENSE PLATE JW5-641.

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION REGARDING THIS ABDUCTION, PLEASE CONTACT SWEET VALLEY POLICE IMMEDIATELY.

I know the Amber Alert was coming, but I don't expect it to bring me to tears.

I guess I had hoped for some kind of mercy from Ken. For him to just let us go. To do the right thing.

How naive of me. 

A monster is a monster. And Ken doesn't own a merciful bone in his body.

Luckily Nova's asleep when the alert sounds off. After being whisked away in the middle of the night, playing her heart out at a McDonald's playground, and helping Utah's finest convict steal a car, she has passed out in the back once again.

I wipe some tears with my long sleeved shirt, hoping Brandon doesn't notice what a big wimp I'm being. After all, how many public warnings have been issued about him? Probably too numerous to count. But my efforts to cry under the radar go wasted.

"Toughen up, buttercup," he says, nudging me with his elbow.

My bottom lip quivers, tears gathering all the more.

He sighs.

Whatever.

He can think I'm pathetic, but I'm in uncharted territory. I'm not a rugged criminal. This isn't who I am. Unlike him, I actually care what people think of me. And right now, everyone I've ever known probably sees me as some unstable Black girl, thanks to Ken.

"You've done the right thing, Nataly," Brandon adds a few moments later, his comforting tone carrying a shocking warmth. "Don't ever question that. You got yourself and your kid sister out of a terrible fucking reality. You did that. You made it happen. You decided that you wanted better for both of you. Fuck that Ken guy."

I stay quiet, watching the world blur outside the car window, a half smile sneaking up my cheek.

Brandon's words are a salve for my hurting soul. Because Brandon is right.