11 - Awards

natalie

She never called. And now I'm at The Academy Awards! Best place on Earth, am I right!

I'm not going to get anything. By My Side was barely in the range for this years movies even being considered. I'm only here because I have to be. I'm Natalie Matthews.

And I'm here with my little brother. He's already sitting inside.

"Natalie Matthews." Vanessa Daye greeted me as I walked up to her just as I was assigned to do.

"Hello Vanessa. Lovely to see you again." I smiled at her then directly at the camera, because this is live. Number one rule of the Academy awards: keep a smile on your face.

"Please tell me about this beautiful green dress you're wearing." She stepped back and examined my dress, "It fits you in all the right places."

I laughed politely because that joke did not land. Of course it fits me, it was designed to. "It is Versace.I lived in ROme for a year while studying abroad with one of my best friends so I have a lot of luck with Italians." I laughed at the fun memories I have from Rome with Cassie, ""And it's green. My color in my movie is green. My bedroom was green growing up. I had these beautiful green Converse in high school."

She nodded, "So maybe green could be your lucky charm this evening? It has a lot of meaning to you."

I laughed again, "I can hope so."

"Well, in By My Side, you play a character named Eleanor who falls in love with her best friend and feels bad about it. Where did the inspiration for Eleanor and Mckenna come from."

I smiled politely, "Me, actually. I based my book off of my life in high school. The amazing friends, family, and partner."

"That is adorable. Do you think your cast and crew brought your story to life the best way possible?"

"I do. I really do. I based most of my characters off of people I really used to be so close with. I really think the casting was perfect, the acting was perfect, everything was exactly as I wanted it to be for this film."

"Thank you so much Natalie, I hope you have an amazing time tonight."

"You as well!"

We get an email about our seats and dinner orders a month before the event so there is no confusion. I am next to Billie and Finneas. I ordered a broccoli and chaddar soup with a side of sourdough and a lemonade twist with extra tequila.

A perfect meal in the perfect place.

That's what I've been doing for three months. Drowning in my sorrows. BEcause not only did Mackenzie never call me. She left for Spain three days later.

Who does that?

"Welcome back to the 95th annual Academy Awards! I am your host, Jimmy Kimmel."

And now I am zoning out. I hate Jimmy Kimmel. He's a dick.

I looked at my drink and wondered how many calories are in it. Probably not many since it's mostly Tequila. I've been choosing alcohol at any appropriate time to have it in public. The more the better.

I eyed everyone in that room a thousand times. Some of my favorite celebrities are here. Blake Lively, Ryan, and Taylor are sitting across the room. Those are the people I really want to talk to.

Taylor Swift.

Harrison is here but I knew that he would be.

I wonder who's going to win. Honestly. And how do they know what you're going to say? Do you write a speech if you're just nominated? Because I am nominated for different categories but I know I won't win because it wasn't as popular as my team would have liked.