VI. His Soul

They say eyes are the windows to one's soul. One look, and you would be given a glimpse of one's feelings and his whole being.

But does that apply to the man named Sung Jinwoo? She wondered.

Her fiance, for about a year now, is a complex person. Boasting that well-toned body and his cunning intelligence, people even joked that he was a force to be reckoned with. Well, only if they knew. Apart from those, he is the Shadow Sovereign. One of the major beings in the world right now. It would be hard to believe, but it's really true. Of course, the universe is vast. There is a possibility that there are other beings existing in it.

She knew... She knew how much he had sacrificed for this world. He fought hard for many years just to keep this world safe.

The thing is, no one knew what happened; no one knew about his sacrifices. Until he told her. He let her remember what happened. He showed her everything. And the first thing she felt?

Pain.

Ironically, she felt joy at first, but then the pain and hurt came crashing down the next second. She felt his pain for all of his suffering and his loneliness. These he endured for how many years?

But he just laughed. He laughed, then patted her head with amusement, dancing in his eyes.

His tensed posture before told her how much he had on his shoulders. The burden of only knowing it himself was heavy. However, his features changed when he finally told her. His brows relaxed, the wrinkle in his forehead gone, his shoulders slumping slightly, the corner of his lip would just twitch upward, and his rigid body finally relaxed. And those eyes... his eyes would stare at her, that gaze boring through her. She knows she is not mistaken. That look finally told her that all of the things he was carrying were gone when he finally shared them with someone else. And that night, he told her he really loved her. But she knew already; just from those eyes, she knew.

Yet, that look sent her heart beating frantically in her chest. Just one look would be enough to send her feeling giddy, resulting in her embarrassment. Her cheeks flushed.

In contrast to that, you would never see that look of his whenever he gets serious about a battle. With his shadow army supporting his back, he stared at his enemy with coldness in his eyes. He glared with viciousness. His eyes were tempestuous towards his opponents. Sometimes she would think that those eyes were lifeless, void of soul, and void of emotions. His posture was tense, ready for his next movement in this battle. It is a big change for the Jinwoo she knows and the Jinwoo she loves.

Before, she would doubt herself and ask if she really knew the man. Is this the true Jinwoo? Does she not know the man that well? She knows she is not the ideal girlfriend or lover, as she has her own problems and is usually impassive to people around her. And these thoughts would overwhelm her sometimes, and she asked herself:.

'Would I really be a good wife to him?'

As a result, here she was. Outside of the hotel room, they were trying to scout for their wedding. Here she was alone on the rooftop, staring at the night sky with stars decorating it like glitter. She stared at the sky absentmindedly. She let the wind sweep her hair to the side before she looked down.

Her stupor was disturbed when she heard his voice. The voice of the man she adores. Turning slowly to face him, her eyes widened.

He was leaning against the door frame. His posture was slightly slumped. Stuffing one of his hands in his pockets, he titled his head curiously at the woman in front of him, and the corners of his lips were pulled up.

And, again. Those eyes bore through her. The tenderness in his eyes cannot be mistaken. He looked eager, too. And... was he looking at her in joy? Amusement? No, it was full of affection. Of love.

With just that one look, all of her doubts were washed away. 'Damn.' Why was she thinking all of these things? Who is the Jinwoo she loves? This man. This man is in front of her. His whole personality. His flaws. His strength. His whole being.

Of course. There are times when a person is different from others. Because not everyone would be the same person. Everyone has a different way of treating others.

'Ah. I got stupid.'

Then she smiled before suddenly laughing. The man blinked in surprise at the sudden change in the woman's demeanor. But he recovered quickly and just smiled. She just knows she loves this man.

Truly, eyes are the windows to the soul. Because of Sung Jinwoo? It was always like that. He expressed it through his eyes.

'I really love this person.' Haein and Jinwoo thought at the same time.

To be continued..