Chapter: 13

N A T A L I A

Agony.

That was the sensation that engulfed me before I could comprehend what was unfolding.

My body felt like it was being torn apart, my bones shattering beneath the torment.

"Oh my god," my sister's voice pierced through the haze of pain. "She's transforming into a monster!"

That was all I managed to discern before I found myself on all fours, a bewildered expression mirrored in the reflection of my bedroom mirror.

Horrified, I watched as my reflection morphed into that of a white wolf, streaks of indigo shimmering amongst the fur.

My own eyes, indigo and blue, stared back at me with disbelief. I didn't recognise myself.

'Don't be afraid,' a voice echoed in my mind, causing me to become startled.

"Natalia," my mother's stern voice cut through the air, prompting me to turn and face her, disgust evident on her face. "A wolf."

A wolf.

It was the day I discovered my lineage, inheriting the lycanthropic nature of my father.

My mother harboured disdain for that aspect of my being, relegating me to the role of protector for my sister and assigned me as head of the shifter, subjecting me to rigorous training.

The first fortnight as a newly shifted werewolf was an ordeal of ceaseless training. I scarcely had a moment of respite; rising with the dawn and toiling until the forest all silent in the dead of the night.

Noah had been my only source of comfort during this intense period, training until late hours with me, until his parents had forceful retrieved him.

Tonight, however, I found myself stranded on the training grounds, immobilised by an invisible force. My body was unwilling to follow commands, I was simply exhausted.

It was past midnight, with me being the only one at the training grounds, my mother had not deigned to check on me.

"Natalia!"

A voice, familiar but distant. I strained to identify its source, but couldn't see anyone in sight.

"Natalia," the voice called out again, this time with a gentler tone.

"Open your eyes, princess. Please."

The voice drew nearer, and before I knew it, my eyes fluttered open in a frenzy of panic.

Before I could fully orient myself or grasp my surroundings, I felt two sturdy arms encircle me, pressing me against a firm chest.

Had it not been for the familiar scent of musk and the comforting sensation of my wolf purring within me, I would have instinctively resisted the embrace.

Instead, I allowed myself to relax into his arms, recognising the presence of Callum.

The flashback to my initial transformation to my wolf had rattled me to my core, leaving my heart pounding in my chest.