CHAPTER TWELVE

Their strange arrangement went on for a month. Surprisingly, all of Tanya's reservations about working in close proximity with Ilario was laid to rest. She anticipated him to act like a slave driver after the first day, but he revealed himself to be thoughtful and considerate. He gave her ample time to learn a new subject and was ready to help her whenever she needed. Tanya suspected the assignments he gave her in the beginning were merely for her practice instead of current ones. For instance, she was given the task of following up on a case of State Vs Stanton Farms that happened over thirty years ago.

Stanton Firms had been accused of using illegal immigrants as cheap labour hands and was suspected of having mafia roots. A non-profit organization had taken up the courage to drag them to the court.

"Now, tell me Tanya, what is our matter of interest in this case?" Ilario asked in his typical soft accented voice, the single pool of light coming from the desk lamp illuminating the planes of his classic features in the growing darkness of the evening.

Tanya chewed her lips for a moment before cautiously answering.

"All of the farmlands under Stanton Farms were mortgaged to the Bank who was their financier. So if the business failed, it affected the Bank."

"Why would it? Even if the business failed, the Bank could auction the farmlands and recover the dues of Stanton Farms."

Tanya went through all that she had read, racking her brains.

"Go through the case files again." Ilario instructed her in a soft voice and stood up.

He went to the back room attached to his office while Tanya poured over the files once again. Her eyes were itching from staring at the minuscule writings in Italian filling her laptop screen all day. In addition to the long winded legal jargon, she had the additional difficulty of deciphering an entire foreign language.

Ilario emerged after a while, carrying two flutes, one of which he placed in front of her.

"Drink up."

"What is this?" she queried, looking at the clear orange liquid. When Ilario had first started to bring her beverages while she worked late in the nights, she had been more than surprised, but since he continued doing that, she has started to expect those kind of gestures from him.

In fact, he was attentive to her in a silent, gruff sort of way. He would force her to eat when she'd forget about her meals, engrossed in the task at hand, make her take breaks at regular intervals.

He is a good human being, Tanya concluded after a month of working in close proximity with him.

His lips quirking, he answered, "Orange juice."

Tanya grimaced, "And for you?"

"I am an adult, so no orange juice for me." He said as he sat down opposite her again. "Tell me. Did you figure it out?"

"Yes, I did." Tanya took a deep breath. "The mistake was in mortgaging those properties without proper investigation. The ownership of those farmlands were ambiguous. There was no clear owner. I guess this is where the mafia accusation came from. The title deeds were in the name of one shell corporation based on Florence, whose promoter was never produced in the court. The mortgage papers had his signature, but he was not identified during the course of the legal case."

"Very good." Ilario turned appreciative eyes on her. "What should the Bank have done before granting the credit line?"

"A proper research- title search and everything else." Tanya frowned, there was something wrong about the whole process. She decided to voice it.

"I have a doubt though, Rio. The officers who signed off on the credit line were senior executives. How is it possible that they made such a rookie mistake?"

Ilario looked strangely at her for a moment, and Tanya turned red like a tomato, registering her mistake. She just addressed her boss informally.

Shit! Double shit!

But before she could open her mouth to apologize, Ilario's features smoothed out, except that quirk on his lips she had come to associate with him.

"How indeed?" He asked, totally ignoring her slip. "Let me hear your theory." He invited.

"Honestly, the only thing I can think of is either bribery or some vested interest."

He nodded. "You are right about both. No one is this gullible without any vested interest."

Her eyes alight with curiosity, she asked, "Could they prove it in the courts?"

He shook his head. "No, why the credit line was sanctioned was never under the purview of the court. However, there was an internal investigation, and a few officials associated with that account were sacked. They weren't tried legally or anything."

Tanya was deep in thought. From what she had read about the entire matter, there should have been serious consequences. The Bank had lost millions. Yet, merely getting sacked seemed such a minor punishment.

"Let's conclude tonight's discussions. What are you doing this weekend?" Ilario asked her, getting up and gathering his suit jacket and wallet.

Tanya was still in thought as she stood up and mechanically started arranging her bag to get ready to leave. She barely heard what he was saying. She went to the adjacent bathroom to tidy up. As she came out, she bumped into Ilario.