Hannah

Brooke and I went to bed 18.  The girl looked at us with her big, brown eyes.

"Hi, Sweetie," I said.  "What's your name?"

"Hannah."  Her voice was high and barely audible.

"We're gonna take care of that cut and make it all better.  OK?"

The girl looked back at me.  I could see she was trying to be brave.  "OK."

"This is Brooke.  She's going to help."

"Hi, Precious," Brooke said.  "Your name is Hannah?"

"Uh-huh."

"I like your pretty shirt.  Do you have any pets at home?"

Brooke talked to the girl, while I got set up.

"All right," I said.  "Now I'm going to be honest with you.  I'm going to give you a little shot, so you won't feel any pain while I fix the cut.  That's a good thing, right?"

The girl melded me with her brown eyes.  She nodded her head.

"What's your favorite color?" Brooke asked.  I started injecting.

"Yellow," the girl said.

"Like the star on your shirt," Brooke said.

"Uh-huh."

I was already halfway around the wound.

"What's your favorite ice cream?"

"Chocolate chip."

I injected the last corner of the wound, and ... it was over.  Never once did the girl cry or resist in any way.  "What a brave girl!" Brooke exclaimed.

"It didn't hurt," the girl said.

"No?" Brooke asked.

"Nuh-uh."

Brooke turned toward bed 17 and said again in a loud voice.  "What a brave girl!"

Back at the nursing station, Brooke put together the discharge paperwork for the girl.  She paper-clipped a lollipop and a rainbow balloon sticker to the girl's paperwork and discharged her home with her parents.  Then, I watched as Brooke paper-clipped a lollipop and a balloon sticker to the man's discharge paperwork.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

Brooke gave me a crooked smile.

"Now, Brooke, be a good girl.  Don't rub it in."

Brooke let out a sigh.  Reluctantly, she put the second lollipop and sticker down on the counter.  She sighed again and headed over to bed 17.