Chapter Fifty-Three

By the time I got to my mother's house, I was ready to just finish what Beth started and strangle myself to death

By the time I got to my mother's house, I was ready to just finish what Beth started and strangle myself to death. My entire day had just been one long nightmare. Scratch that, my entire week.

I had to come clean to my parents about the whole situation, and needless to say, it didn't go smoothly. My mom was furious, especially when she found out it was all because of Dylan.

And that led to another round of interrogation where my mother accused me of consorting with him again. I hated having to defend myself when I could barely talk, and the meds were making my head woozy. At least my dad finally saw sense and started interfering by trying to calm my mother down. And then that led to another hour of listening to them bicker and snipe at each other.

Eventually, my mother had to step away, and she left the room with a dark cloud trailing after her. She said something to someone as she opened the door and stepped out, but she shut the door before I could hear the other person's reply. I thought I heard a man's voice, but my dad drew my attention when he asked me how I was doing.

I told him I was ready to leave. He'd just nodded and grabbed the clipboard the nurse had left to finish filling in all the forms, asking me questions occasionally.

After we finally left, my mother almost wouldn't let me stop by my house to grab some things. After another round of arguing, I got her to agree to a quick stop. She stood guard over me while Jace helped me carry what I needed to the car. And then she almost had a meltdown when I told Jenny that I'd be back to get the rest of my things as soon as I felt better.

I decided I'd wait for her to calm down before breaching the subject again.

When we finally got to my mom's house, Jace had to help me out of the car and into to the house. My steps were sluggish, and my eyes were drooping as the meds coursed through my system. Jace even had to help me up the stairs and into my bed. I could only give him a barely audible thanks.

After he helped settle me in bed, weirdly, he walked over to my window to fiddle with the latch. I assumed he was just making sure it was locked because he knew how my mother was anal about these things. I couldn't bring myself to care as I slipped into a numb, dreamless sleep.

°•°•°•°