Chapter 11: Welcoming Ceremony

The day of the highly anticipated welcoming ceremony has arrived far sooner than everyone expected. Disciples and elders from various peaks gathered in the large arena, while the peak masters settled themselves atop a high viewing platform.

Today's welcoming ceremony shall be the public examination to reevaluate Luo Xue's capabilities. Against all expectations, the infamous weakling of the sect would be their newly appointed peak master.

On the peak master's platform, Hong Yuming from the Infinite Learning peak, and Kun Yanli, from the Healing Jade peak, respectively, took their seats on the left and right side of Sun Yi.

Long before their arrival, news of the welcoming ceremony being held for Luo Xue had reached their ears. As they were preoccupied with their own responsibilities, neither of them was aware of the great changes occurring within the sect until it was too late. While they didn't support Luo Bingyu's hasty decision of assigning someone with an infamous reputation, their authority was limited. After all, it wasn't their place to meddle in Luo Bingyu's decision on who should be the peak master.

"Sun Yi, I heard that you and your people were tasked with preparing for this event. Tell us, what surprise did you plan?" Kun Yanli asked, his eyes filled with curiosity.

Sun Yi's expression shifted, his smile looking like a sneer. He said, "It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you. Be a good spectator and enjoy the show."

"Heh," Kun Yanli snorted dismissively. Unable to get a straightforward answer, his already crafty smile became more devious. "With the way you're making this out to be, I wouldn't be surprised if you have something obnoxious planned."

"Nothing of that sort if our newest member could clear the challenge."

Sun Yi appeared composed, yet there was a hint of gloom in his gaze.

Days before the welcoming ceremony, they have been investigating Luo Xue's claim. Through the expertise of Hong Yuming, the master of sword arrays and formations, they discovered minor adjustments have been made to the portal's formation, resulting in a change in the teleportation destination when exiting.

Hong Yuming, along with everyone else on the investigating team, was caught off guard since he was supposed to be the first person notified about any changes to their sect's important portals. And yet, he received no updates. Because of this peculiar incident, he investigated his people for any negligence. Moreover, he also attempted to trace back to the person responsible for changing the formation, but was unable to find anyone.

Since there was no clear culprit, nor was Luo Xue's claim entirely false, Sun Yi could only reluctantly set this matter aside and prioritised the preparations for the welcoming ceremony.

Sun Yi quietly grumbled, unaware that Cai Ling had caught sight of his disappointed face.

Just then, a crane's cry could be heard from afar. Everyone turned silent as they awaited the arrival of their sect master.

When Luo Bingyu and Luo Xue arrived, everyone greeted them right away.

"Greetings to the Sect Master!"

Luo Bingyu raised his hand, acknowledging their courtesy. Under everyone's watchful gaze, he nonchalantly led Luo Xue to the seat beside him before taking his own seat, asserting his authority like a ruler. Meanwhile, Luo Xue remained calm and unfazed. As she sat among the peak masters, her youthful appearance and unconventional attire easily drew attention to her.

Luo Xue resembled a fallen immortal. Draped in intricate dark green robes embroidered with black bamboo and cloud designs, she wore her long black hair tied with a green ribbon, flowing loosely down her shoulders. As her fingers casually traced the plain-looking thin sword hanging by her waist, a hint of a smile appeared on her cherry red lips, exuding an air of arrogance.