••• SIXTEEN •••

••• SIXTEEN •••
Ashton

I put my Blackhawks shirt over my head as Sophie sat on my bathroom counter with a mischievous smile on her face and I raised an eyebrow at her as I buttoned my pants. We've been together for almost six months now, but I still haven't gotten used to the fact that she's in love with me and that she's my girlfriend. "What're you doing over there?" I asked questioningly, and she giggled as she shrugged.

"Just watching my sexy boyfriend get ready for his first hockey game as a Blackhawk." She said nonchalantly and a smile spread out across my face as I shook my head at her.

"You're such a dork," I chuckled, then walked up to her and cupped her face in my hands. "Did the jersey fit you?" I asked and she grinned widely as she nodded her head.

"I did, Patrick asked me why I was wearing one with your name on it and I told him because I wanted to show support because your his best friend."

"Oh, so you're only wearing it to be nice, huh?" She giggled as she nodded and I rolled my eyes at her as I leaned down and pressed my lips against hers.

"I'm also wearing it because I love you and I think I look way better in the jersey than you do." She teased as she pulled away and I laughed as I nodded.

"That is one hundred percent true, but you look a million times better in it because my name is on it." She giggled again as she leaned up to kiss my cheek and I smiled as I ran my fingers through her hair. "Are you excited to tell Patrick about us tonight?" I asked and her smile faltered slightly.

I know she was nervous to tell Patrick that we were together, but I couldn't be any happier to finally let everyone know that I was in love her and that she's mine. "Of course, but..." She trailed off and let out a long sigh as she got lost in thought.

"Hey," I said gently, tilting her chin so her eyes would meet mine and once they did I gave her a reassuring smile and stroked her cheek with my thumb. "Whatever happens, it's going to be okay, Soph. I promise." She gave me a small smile as she nodded, but I could tell that she wasn't completely convinced. "What's the worst that could happen?" I asked and she rolled her eyes at me.

"I could hurt Patrick and he could stop being your friend." She pointed out and I bit the inside of my cheek as I slowly took in what she said.

I couldn't imagine my life without Patrick in it. There's no way I would allow him to stop being my friend just because I fell in love with his sister. We were like brothers and our bond was way too strong for something like this to break up our friendship. "Don't worry about me and Patrick," I said and pressed my lips to her forehead. "He might be upset for a little while, but I know he would never stop being my best friend." Sophie let out a deep breath and nodded.

"You're right, it's all going to work out and I know he'll be happy for us." She smiled up at me and I kissed her.

Before I could get lost in the kiss, my cell phone rang and I groaned as I reluctantly pulled away from her to see who was calling me. "Speak of the Devil." I said sarcastically as I answered his call and Sophie giggled softly as she hopped off the counter and walked out of the bathroom. "Hey, what's up, dude?" I answered as I finished getting ready.

"Hey, man, where are you?" Patrick asked.

"I'm just about to head to the arena, why?" I asked and I could hear muffled voices in the background. "Is everything okay?" I was suddenly nervous by his silence and began to wonder who he was talking to.

"Oh, um, yeah! I'm here now and your, uh, your parents are here looking for you, dude." He whispered the last part and I clenched my eyes shut as I cursed under my breath.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." I hissed and Patrick sighed.

"I told them you more than likely did not want to see them, but they don't care. Coach just put them in the box with my Mom and it looks like they're not leaving." He informed me and I began to freak out at the sudden realization that Sophie is going to be around my parents.

My parents always suspected that I had feelings for Sophie and highly frowned upon me starting a relationship with her. It was only because in their eyes Sophie doesn't meet their expectations and I know if they found out we were together, they would do anything to try and ruin us. "You still there, Ash?" Patrick's voice asked, breaking me out of my thoughts and I shook my head.

"Why would they come opening night to see me play? They have never been to one of my games since high school, but of course, the second I join the Blackhawks they show up." I cursed under my breath as I stormed out of the bathroom and opened my closet to grab my gym bag.

"I know, man. They're asshole's, but don't worry. My Mom will keep them distracted and hopefully, they'll just leave you alone and let you play." He assured me and I sighed.

"I'll be there in fifteen minutes, thanks for the heads up, Patrick."

"Of course, dude. I'll see you later." I hung up the phone and I wanted nothing more than to smash it on the ground, but I didn't. I took in a couple deep breaths and told myself that I wasn't going to let them get to me. I was not going to ruin one of the most exciting days of my life.

"Babe, you okay?" Sophie asked gently. I turned around to see her staring at me worriedly in my Blakchawks jersey and looking more beautiful than ever. I smiled as I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her. She gasped in surprise as I lifted her off the ground and held her close to me.

"I am now." I teased and she giggled as she pressed her lips against mine.

In that moment, with Sophie in my arms and kissing me like her life depended on it, I didn't care about anything. I didn't care about my parents being there, I didn't care about hockey, the only thing I cared about was that I loved Sophie and she loved me and with her love I know I could get through whatever life threw at me.