(19) Homecoming

Tears welled up in my eyes and I pleaded with the detective to let me go, but he didn't agree, "Please let me go see him, he is stabbed, he's dying as we speak." I cried.

Min-jae re-entered the room and I approached him, "Please get me out of here! I have to go see Gu-won! Please, help me."
Min-jae handed a document to Detective Choi, "The warrant has been dismissed."

Min-jae drove me to the hospital. During the tense car ride, I clutched onto my wedding ring, Hang in there for a bit longer, Jeong Gu-won.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

Soon, we reached the hospital, my heart pounding in my chest. As I entered the room, my eyes landed on Gu-won lying on the hospital bed, his face pale beneath the oxygen mask, the monitor next to him beeping steadily. I couldn't tear my gaze away from him.

Kira's glare pierced through me, "All of this happened because of you. You killed Director Jeong!" she lunged towards me, fists clenched in anger. Mr. Kim stepped in between us, in an attempt to stop Kira,
"Pull yourself together, we have to save director Jeong first, let's go."
"Please save him, Yeona." He whispered while going out.

I rushed towards Gu-won's side. Trembling, I placed my wrist in his hand, hoping that the powers would heal him but nothing happened. 
Tears streamed down my face as the reality of the situation hit me - I was too late.

Burying my face in our entwined hands, I sobbed uncontrollably, feeling a deep sense of guilt & regret. Gu-won had always been there for me but now when he needed me the most, I had failed him... I had failed to protect him.

"You're heavy, will you move?" Gu-won spoke in a weak voice.
I looked up in disbelief to see his eyes open.
"Your crying face from up close is hilarious." He added & removed his oxygen mask, revealing a smile, "It's so funny that I can't even die."

I wiped away my tears and lightly hit his hand, "I thought you were dead!"
He winced in pain & I quickly apologized for my mindless action.
"Are you not fully healed?" I asked.
"It worked only halfway again... useless powers." He sighed.
"I'll get the doctor."

As I made a move to call the doctor, he held my hand, pulling me towards him in a gentle embrace. He whispered, "Just give me a second, I need to charge up." I listened to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat, his gentle pats on my hair felt so soothing. We remained like that for a few moments, exchanging a multitude of emotions without uttering a single word.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

I spent the whole night sitting right beside Gu-won in hospital room. It was morning already, rays of sunlight timidly peeked through the thin curtains. Min-jae entered inside, worry etched on his face.

"Yeona, you should go home, freshen up & get something to eat." he urged.
I firmly shook my head, "I won't leave Gu-won, not even for a moment."

As if on cue, Mr. Kim entered the room, "I'll stay with master, Ms. Park you need to take care of yourself too. I promise to call you if something happens."
After some convincing, I reluctantly agreed. Min-jae offered me a ride to my home, in his car.

"Why aren't you asking anything?" I finally broke the uneasy silence.
He replied, "Because you wouldn't tell me anyway."
"Thank you."
Min-jae looked at me now, "I'm okay as long as you're safe, I don't need anything else."

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

I quickly made my way back to the hospital, Ms. Seo following close behind. As we approached Gu-won's room, I noticed those goons guarding outside the door. They straightened up as they caught sight of me & made way for us to enter inside the room,
"The boss's wife is here. Good Morning Ma'am, you look beautiful today." The leader announced & all of them bowed.

"Your boss's wife?" Ms. Seo raised an eyebrow.
"Don't mind them, Ms. Seo." I said & pushed open the door to Gu-won's room and stepped inside.

I saw Gu-won's eyes lighting up with joy at the sight of me. He ran towards me, Mr. Kim trailing behind him, carrying his canula drip.
"It's okay for you to move around now?" I asked him.
"Yes, I'm totally fine now." he pulled out the canula himself but then groaned in pain, clutching his chest.

I helped him walk to the bed, tucking him in with a warm blanket.
"I'm really fine, I swear." He said.
"Sure, you are." I smiled.
"Who are those men in black outside? Ms. Seo asked Mr. Kim, to which he proudly replied,
"Director Jeong seems to be popular with people from all walks of life."

Gu-won suddenly sat up abruptly, 'Let's go home now. If I stay here, those wild dogs will keep bothering me."
"Your treatment isn't over yet." I said.
"Being with you is the best treatment, Yeona."

My heart skipped a beat when he uttered those words, I sighed & accepted my defeat once again. I filled the hospital discharge form & we both returned back to home.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

As the morning light filtered through the curtains, I stirred awake to find Gu-won peacefully asleep beside me, his hand intertwined with mine. I leaned in closer and caressed his face with my fingers. His eyes fluttering open as he turned to look at me,
"You're up?" he murmured.
"Yes." I smiled.

He immediately sat up, "Let's go find the scumbag, I saw his face even if it was just the half but it's enough to find him."
I shook my head in disapproval, "You're not going anywhere in this condition, recovery comes first."
"Revenge comes first, I'll find him & tear his heart apart." He said loudly & clutched his chest in pain again.

"You're not ready for any revenge yet."
I said & extended my wrist towards him, as his fingers touched the tattoo on my skin, it glowed brightly, "It's working." he exclaimed but the glow faded as quickly as it had appeared, "Not anymore." he added.
"I guess you need alot more."
"But still, breathing has gotten alot more easier."
"You should get better the more you charge up."

A strand of my hair fell across my face, and with a tender touch, he brushed it behind my ear.
Reluctantly, I removed his hand, "I have to go for work."
"Can you take the day off?"
"No."
He frowned at my instant reply, "You didn't even hesitate. You're the CEO, why don't you celebrate my survival by declaring a holiday today in the company?"

I smiled & pulled the blanket upto his chin, trying to slip out of the bed, "Rest up."
Instead of letting me go, he grabbed my hand & pulled me towards him, holding me close against his chest, "Then let's just stay like this for five minutes. Let me charge up abit more." he whispered. Unable to resist, I smiled and relented, sinking back into his arms.

 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
I rushed through my morning routine, knowing  that Ms. Seo was already waiting for me at the front door along with Mr. Kim, I am not sure why he's standing there beside her but I think he's here to see Gu-won.

Gu-won appeared next to me, "Yeona, wait up. Let me come with you."
"Don't take your injury lightly, you barely escaped death. So stay at home & take rest." I replied.
"Look what he did to me. Who knows what he might do to you?"
"I have another bodyguard waiting at the office."
"I can't trust anyone right now. What if that scumbag shows up disguised as a bodyguard? I'm going to protect you myself."
He took my hand, leading me towards the door.

Before we could make our way out, Mr. Kim stepped in, a stern look on his face, "Master, stop right there. I forbid you to do so."
"Who gives you the right?" Gu-won scoffed.
"As your butler, I put your safety first."
"Then you're fired. You're no longer my butler, so stop butting in and go home."
Mr. Kim dramatically clutched his chest, "Is this how little you think of our friendship, forged by capitalism?"

"Do as he says, Mr. Kim is right." I said.
Gu-won sulked, "You traitor! Stop taking his side, Yeona."
Mr. Kim shouted, "I feel hurt, master."
Gu-won yelled, "Stop shouting!"

Just then, Ms. Seo, who had been observing everything silently until now, shouted loudly, that made Gu-won and Mr. Kim flinch back in surprise. We all fell silent, waiting for her to speak.

"I have a solution, Mr. Kim can come with us to the office today and take care of Mr. Jeong." She declared and we all nodded in agreement.