Festiva - Part One

The stiffness around each other had evaporated. Gone was the frostiness and poker-faced expressions. The nightlife of Aradia was a spectacle like no other, an entire platform dedicated to entertainment. And entertain they did. The carnival of colour left little sparks of light dancing across the eyes, the noise of instruments melded together into a distorted frenzy and the rhythm of the people, intoxicating. Located on the smallest platform, there were three rows of vendors, either selling their wares out of little shops with open windows in the front, inviting passers-by into their establishments or doing elaborate tricks on the sidewalk. They were all the same square buildings with a deck running around both the first and second floor, however, each was decorated in a different and somewhat eye-catching way. At present the seven of them were walking along Cliff bridge, where a section of the rock-face had caved in and was replaced by a hanging pathway that extended from the ledge of one side of the platform to the other, giving the nightlife a somewhat magical feel.

Vendors called out at them, their voices melding into the tune of a well-practiced sales pitch. On her left Merran breathed in the oceanic fragrance, the cool breeze blowing her braid about. She glimpsed the two lower levels, the lowest was deserted now, filled with water from high tide and the second was bathed in darkness apart from the flickering lights set right against the cliff, the residence had moved further back into the mountain, as the water filled further. The scene would be a joy to see in the morning as that water flowed back down the mountain, cascading into the land below which slowly back-tracked to its home and the first terrace was revealed as a land bound coral reef, the colours, crustaceans and strange textures so prominent under the ocean left to bake in the sunlight and to be harvested by the men and woman brave enough to venture down there and sift through what the sea left behind.

"Step right up if you think you've got what it takes," a vendor yelled so close to her she froze.

"Ah you there," he said pointing at her, "are you and friends brave enough to make the Jump?"

Merran shook her head. "We're just heading to dinner, maybe after..."

The other leaders nodded in agreement until.

"The winner will be rewarded," the seller held up a single blue Gift-Stone, "this little beauty was —

"Where did you get that?" Kaijan tried to snatch at the stone, however, the vendor was far to nimble and evaded him easily. The precious rock disappearing like it was magic trick.

"Now, now man, you can have it if you show me some coin, and you and your friends jump first."

Merran realised then that whatever this Jump was, it wasn't safe, and the vendor needed the people to see someone survive to attract more patronage.

"You tell me where you got that now?" Kaijan's face was strained, his eyes no more than slits seeping yellow light.

She could understand why. The stones were his responsibility, the idea that someone had stolen them must've rattled him.

However, the vendor had obviously dealt with his fare-share of rough traders. He smiled revealing crooked teeth, his tongue darting around his lips as he tested his response.

He took a step back before he spoke, casually putting some distance between himself and the angry Sulphite. "A bargain then, you jump for free, the winner gets the stone and the information you require?"

It looked as if Kaijan would throttle the man, Khumo must've noticed because he intervened rather quickly, surprisingly nimble for such a big man.

"Well, it seems as if the tournament is starting earlier than we thought, you ready Kaijan?"