11. The Love Hypothesis

The Love Hypothesis is a romance novel by Ali Hazelwood, published September 14, 2021.Originally published online in 2018 as Head Over Feet, a Star War fanfiction work, the novel follows a Ph.D. candidate and a professor who pretend to be in a relationship.

****

Fun fact about Nathan Callahan(FFANC): He didn't like sharing fun facts about himself. Also, what the hell is a love hypothesis?

****

Chapter Eleven: The Love Hypothesis

“I heard they are gonna show ‘10 Things I Hate About You’ today,” Nathan told me.

“Seriously!” I squealed, “That's perfect. Rom-com genius. One of my favorite movies. Heath Ledger was so hot, I could die.”

The movie was starting. So I picked up the box of my plain popcorn (Nathan got himself salted caramel popcorn) and we watched the opening credits roll.

The title appeared on the screen in a very old font and bright green color. I cheered, and so did a few people around us. It was a classic movie. It deserved all the cheers.

“You probably don't care,” I said, looking at the screen, “But out of all types of romance, I love Enemies-to-Lovers, the best. The angst gets me every single time.”

I’d started babbling. I spared him a glance. His body was turned towards me, as if to give me attention easily if he wanted. Currently, he was looking at the screen.

“Which type do you hate the most?”

“Friends-to-lovers,” I said, “It's just not for me.”

I turned back to the screen and mouthed the words to the song Bad Reputation. Nathan glanced my way once.

Next, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's face appeared along with the office lady.

Nathan spoke, “Look at that. That lady could be your friend. She writes the stuff you like to read.”

I picked up a piece of popcorn and threw it at him. He caught it between his teeth. I saw his tongue dart out as the piece disappeared into his mouth.

“Bland,” Nathan muttered. I rolled my eyes and looked away.

Cameron, Jospeh’s character, walked around with his friend Michael, who showed him around the school.

“I just love his baby face,” I said, looking at Joseph, “It gets me every time. He was so young.”

“Wasn't he in Inception?” Nathan asked.

“Yes, and 500 Days of Summer,” I said.

“Hmm, something about The Smiths,” Nathan murmured. My eyes widened.

“No way.”

“It's a famous movie,” He said like it was no big deal that he knew a ‘Days of Summer’ reference.

That went on for a while. I shrieked, danced in my seat, munched on my popcorn, tried not to make a fool of myself and failed. The movie brought me a different level of comfort. It was so familiar; the plot, the dialogues, Heath Ledger dancing in the bleachers, the prom, Bianca’s punches, and Kat Stratford reading her sonnet of hate. It always ended too soon for my liking.