Chapter 19

CALLUM

I take in the crowds roaring with enthusiasm as the last goal was scored. I lift up my fist in victory and can quickly see Henry skating in my direction, wrapping an arm around me and patting me on the back.

"They loved it", he tells me, his eyes pointing at the audience standing up to clap their hands. They sure did. Proudness fills me in, and I call the team together for a quick team handshake. I'd be lying if I'd say I wasn't the least bit nervous. Our game was placed at the same time as the basketball one, and I was worried the crowds would rather go see that. But by how full the arena is, I'd say we got the better end of the stick, probably getting both hockey fans and Trevor's football ones. I caught him making some not so subtle advertising for our game earlier. His game was at ten, so we were able to attend that, since ours started at eleven. Given the whole hockey team was there, most of our fans were there too, creating a nice audience for Trevor. Nevertheless, I make a note to myself to thank him later for telling his fans about us.

To be honest, I don't give a fuck if no one came to Aaron's game. I couldn't care less. Not after the hell he's making Katie and I go through. Yet if Katie was supposed to dance with her cheerleaders at the beginning of the game and no one came to see her, that's when I start feeling guilty. Because that girl is amazing. She really deserves the title of co-cheer captain. The way she moves, the way she dances, the way she manages to transform the music to different choreographies... Simply amazing.

Guilt tugs on me, yet I remember Trevor saying that Mae said that the cheer squad only has one show, and doesn't perform at the games today. Meaning Katie didn't suffer.

I calm down, allowing myself to search the crowds for a certain blonde with addictive blue eyes and a smile that could bring Sunshine in the darkest days.

I go through each row, each aisle, yet I don't see her.

But I will. One day I'll come at your game, and I'll be wearing your hoodie. You'll be on the ice, kicking ass and doing those cool things you do, and I'd be in the stands, cheering your name and sending you air kisses.

I swallow hard at the thought.

One day.

One day, it will happen.

I plaster a smile on my face and celebrate our win with the team, while my heart is breaking inside.

~

"You're miserable", Henry tells me as soon as we step out of the lacrosse field where we just witnessed a game.

"I'm not miserable, I'm tired", I lie.

He reads right through my bullshit. "No, you're miserable." He pulls out a gym water bottle, the ones made of metal. "Want some?"

"Water?", I ask him surprised.

He shakes his head. "Coke mixed with a bit of a hint of something. Got me through the day so far."

"You were drinking?!", I shout/ask him. "On duty?! For heaven's sake, Henry. You..."

"Only a hint of something. It one whole Liter of Coke, plus a teaspoon of tequila. You can't even feel it. It's only there for the show."

"Coke and Tequila?!"

"One for the money, two for the show. Coke would be one, tequila two."

"You're impossible", I mutter.

He shrugs and takes a sip. "The nerves", I continue. "There is Mr. Craw walking towards us. He just saw you."

Henry winks at me as he heads right towards our geography teacher. "Mr. Craw", he says, patting his back. Everybody loves my best friend. It's why I question everybody's sanity. "Whatcha doing, sir? You enjoying the day?", he keeps going on.

And Mr. Craw only smiles, taking the teaspoon Henry offered him. "I was at your game."

Henry smirks even brighter, elbowing me. "Cal did good, didn't he? That last goal. I almost came looking at it."

Mr. Craw only raises an eyebrow, while I debate duct taping my best friend's mouth. Sounds very tempting.

"Almost came home", Henry repeats, clarifying. Mr. Craw chuckles relieved, while the chuckle I let out sounds more restrained, especially as I offer Henry an I'll kill you later look.

"Anyway, I'm not keeping you kids anymore", the teacher says. "I bet you have a lot of things to do. Heard you are organising some hockey workshops. You definitely need to tell me how those go."

"We sure will", Henry answers with a wink. We watch as Mr. Craw walks away. As soon as he's far enough, I elbow him harder.

"I'll kill you", I hiss.

"Keep dreaming. You'd miss me too much."

"No, I wouldn't. I'd be perfectly fine."

"Who would watch Brooklyn 99 with you?"

"Katie would."

"She would my ass. That is my spot. It's our thing."

"Yeah, well, I'm divorcing you."

"You wouldn't dare."

"You're getting the papers tomorrow."

"Let me at least keep the babies."

"For heaven's sake, you're impossible", I tell him amused as we make our way towards the ice rink. "Come on. Let's teach some kids how to skate."

"Oh, wifey, how nice of you", he teases.

At this point, I don't know whose mental health status is more questionable. His, or mine for putting up with him.