Chapter 22

KATIE

"Katie, you have a visitor", Mom calls from downstairs. I lift up my head from the fort I've built in my bed, wondering who it could be. It's Sunday and I made no plans to meet up with my besties. Neither with Mae, who is on a date with Trevor right now. Or with Cal, with whom I texted these last few days but we haven't spoken about a date.

Meaning I'm not expecting anyone.

"Sorry Elle Woods, but you'll have to wait", I tell my laptop before I close it. Given my lack of going out today I decided to binge my favorite romcom movies again. Aaron is in his room either making homework or playing video games, I don't know. We moved on from Friday's fight, but it still feels all too soon, given how sad Liv was the next day and how he didn't even know, forget do anything to check on her. I have placed some subtle hints he should check on her, not telling him Liv's state, whether he took my advice or not, that's his business.

I quickly put my baggy jeans on, a little pink bow to keep them in place, a crop top the same colour and pink sambas, tug my hair in a ponytail and rush downstairs. I obviously also add some mascara and lipgloss, because the idea of Cal being there and me looking like a mess is too painful.

Only as I reach the front door, it ain't Cal who waits in front of the door.

But Liam.

My heart sinks deeper than the Pacific Ocean.

"Katie", Liam breathes, making it all hurt even more.

"What the heck are you doing here?!", I shout, making Mom raise an eyebrow. I shake my head at her to leave us alone and she nods, although still worried, leaving for the kitchen.

"I'm here to take you out on a date. It's Sunday, remember?"

I remember him asking me out for Sunday. But I do not remember saying yes.

"Yeah, well... no. I never said yes. So I'll politely ask you to leave", I say.

Only Liam doesn't seem to know how to take no for an answer. And he hands me a bouquet of roses. "For you."

I look at the flowers, thinking how I'm one of those girls who'd kill to get flowers. Only the flowers in my hands don't raise any happiness in me right now. They make me want to cry, for I would never want them from this guy again.

"Liam, this has to stop", I tell him, rising my tone for Mom to maybe get a hint and come. Only I think she left for the veranda, to continue her book.

"I'm taking you out, Katie", he says firm. "I made a mistake, I know. I should have treated you better. And I'm planning to do that. Just let me take you out this once. Please."

"Liam, no. I'm..."

"Are you seeing someone else?", he cuts me short, his voice sounding hurt. "Are you seeing the fucker? Callum Slade? I've heard rumours, Katie. You kissed him on the kiss cam."

"Because it was a kiss cam", I let out exasperated, not wanting the worst part of my life knowing about the best part of it.

"You never kissed me on a kiss cam", he shouts.

"Because you never took me anywhere that could have a kiss cam. All you wanted me to do was hook up with you, which I did, thank you very much for that", I bite back. I don't know when the tears started rolling. Or when I started shaking. All I know is I did, and it pains to see he still affects me. That he can still make me feel like a nothing.

"Come out with me, Katie", he adds. "Let me make it up to you."

"You mean, let me make it out with you", I mutter.