Twisted Ways

“Alora! God Alora, can you hear me?” Someone was shouting above me.

“Just a minute… ” I groaned at the distribution. I felt tired and drained.

“You don't have a minute. What are you doing on the floor?” The male voice continued.

My eyes snapped open. Where am I? I immediately faced Charlie who was alarmingly white for his usual colors.

“What….?” I looked around confused. I was at the hall right before the entrance door.

Charlie was in his neutral gray pajamas holding my head in his arms. Is it dawn? I looked down to myself slowly. I was in my pajamas as well but it was dirty with brown and green grass spots. I quickly snapped to the hallway window. The curtains were closed just like I left them yesterday. I had to think. What did I prepare for yesterday? Then it fell on me.

“Oh shit.” I cursed and I observed my lower part. To my relief my panties were still intact on me. That means I didn't go full mermaid in our yard and had to pull myself inside with my bare hands.

“You have to tell me more than just an ‘Oh Shit’ young lady.” Charlie grumbled and lifted me up halfway so I could stand on my own.

When I tried to put weight on my legs pain rushed up from my ankles and I would have collapsed right there if Charlie didn't hold me firmly.

“Careful now.” He guided me into the kitchen and sat me down on the closest chair.

“What happened? Did you go outside? Why did you go outside in the middle of the night? Did you get hurt?” He then looked down to my swollen ankles. “Of course you did.” He holded his temple. “Did someone hurt you?” He then looked me in the eye. That was my chance to speak.

“Charlie, I am fine. You don't have to worry that much…” I started.

“Of course I have to worry! I found one of my daughters lying unconscious on the floor. What could I do if Renée found out about it? After Bella’s accident?…” He rented it to himself.

I didn't know what made me more surprised. The fact that he called me his daughter by accident or that he didn't realize that slip of tongue.

“I am really fine. I didn't get outside…” And then I looked at my ravaged clothes. Well I didn't remember going outside, I corrected myself in my head. “And I didn't really get hurt.” And then Charlie looked down at my purple feet with raised eyebrows.

“Alora.” He sighed. “Please be honest with me. I am a cop. If something is wrong I can help you if you are telling me that something is wrong. I am on your side.” I could tell he was genuinely worried.

Such a sweet man. But what should I say? I didn't know what happened yesterday either. I can't just say: Sorry the moon awaked my mermaid curse and I got fully lunatic. That won’t do. I choose the closest thing to the truth. These are the most believable lies I can work with.

“I didn't want to worry you, since it happens so rarely…”I started shyly.” But sometimes… I happen… To… sleepwalk…” I wasn't sure of myself. How does this sound? Will he buy it?

“You sleepwalk?” He echoed.

“Sometimes.” I avoided his gaze.

He observed me up and down for a long minute. I left him time to process my lie. Well it wasn't fully a lie since walking around moonstruck is worth a heavy sleepwalk.

“Did you come down on those godforsaken stares in your sleep?” Finally Charlie asked something.

“As it appears.” I flexed my ankles like these injuries were the results of it.