Chapter 9

AIDEN'S POV

"Let's go somewhere we can be alone" Gabrielle whispers in my ear.

"I think you're a little too drunk" I say, gently pulling away.

"Come on, I'm really not" she whines. "You're just not drunk enough" she raises her eyebrows. "Come with me."

She grabs my hand, dragging me to the kitchen. I could clearly see how intoxicated she was, her eyes struggling to focus as she pours me a drink.

"Here" she offers me a glass of whiskey on the rocks. "Just how you like it"

"Thanks" I say.

"I'll be right back" she lightly squeezes my hand. "I have to use the washroom, finish your drink till then" she smiles, walking away.

I watch as she walks up to one of her friends. They exchange a few words before linking arms, making their way to the washroom. I take a sip of my drink, finally feeling the edible kick in. It was nice to see Gabrielle again, but she was a mess, and I wasn't planning on doing something that she might end up regretting later.

I grab my glass before making my way up to the first floor, not really sure where I was headed. Upon reaching the landing, I begin to wander, hoping to find a balcony so I can light up a cigarette. I walk past what I assumed was a bedroom when I hear some shuffling and a loud thump, followed by a whiny 'Awe'. Piqued with curiosity, I twist the knob, pushing the door open.

It find myself in a washroom. It was divided into two sections, the sink and tub, separated by a translucent glass door. I catch sight of someone lounging in the tub, but the partition made it difficult to identify them. Without much thought, I slide the door open. My eyes widen at the sight of Fai, sprawled out in the tub.

"Aidennnnn" he greets me, excitedly.

"What in the world?" I say, confused.

"It's good that you're here" he says, his tone laced with urgency as he gestures for me to come closer. I was intrigued, taking a large swig of my drink before placing the glass down on the counter.

"What do we have here?" I say, walking upto him. As I approach, I notice the telltale signs; his bloodshot eyes, the unexpected softening in his demeanour and the momentary memory lapse about how he hates my guts. My suspicion is confirmed when I finally take a good look at the setting. And there it was, the evidence, crumbled all over the tub.

"Did you steal my cookies?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Um...no?" he attempts to lie, failing miserably.

"What is that sticking out your pocket then?" I point to the half eaten cookie.

"Oh that, that's not a cookie, that's a biscuit" he says, confidently.

"How many of these have you had?" I question.

"About four" he replies. "And a half" he says, shoving what was left of the last cookie into his mouth, too quick for me to stop him. "I slipped and crushed my last one" he pouts, pointing at the cookie crumbs around him.

So that's what I heard.

"Jesus, Zhen, those are pure weed" I say, genuinely concerned.