02

Chapter Two
"Naam hi mat lo mera. Pati ka naam nahi lete waise bhi."

✧ P R E E T ✧

"Meet my husband"

"Heinnnnnn?" I looked at Deven upon hearing this in my ear and felt his confused gaze on me along with a smile. Why did I think that he'd tag along with my acting without asking him to?

Thank god at least he didn't say it out loud.

"Do you even know him, Preet?" Neava whispered in my other ear and I just passed her a nod.

"I missed you too, Hubby," I said loud enough for everyone to hear and went forward to hug him. Because of his height, I had to raise myself on my toes so that I could reach his ears and tell him to act alone.

Or else my head will lay his chest in the name of a hug.

"Humari shaadi hogayi hai?" He asked and for some reason, he sounded a little too happy.
[We are married?]

"Ji nahi. But Play Along, please." He nodded and I broke the hug once again entangling my hand in his.
[No.]

"So, this is my husband, Deven..." What was his last name?

"Mehrotra." He completed it when it took me too long to speak.

"Humare yaha pati ka surname nahi lete." I waved my hand in the air dismissively and tried to act all shy, glancing at Deven I found a horrified look on his face. I looked at Aniketh and his mom who were looking at me with an equally weird expression. And Neava looked like she was just done.
[We don't take our husband's surname.]

"Yeah, she's my husband." Now all eyes were on him who just said these words out loud.

"No, I'm her wife." I opened my mouth to speak something but ended up gulping. It took Deven long to frame the sentences in his head and then he said.

Galat pati choose karliya maine.
[I chose the wrong husband.]

"I'm her husband. She is my wife." This time he spelled each word properly with a gap of one second.

"Introduce them to me, Wifey." I had this urge to roll my eyes at the last word but I'll let it go since I started this cringe shit by calling him Hubby.

"This is Aniketh, you know about him-" He totally doesn't "and that's his mother."

"Ohh. Finally got to meet you, Aniketh. I've heard a lot about you from my wife. You are a very nice man-" I nudged his shoulder which made him look at me. I shook my head with the sweetest smile present on my face.

"He's not?" Deven whispered. "Stay away from my wife, Aniketh. The next time I see you-"

Once again I nudged him and he glanced at me with a helpless look. Who asked him to add these sentences on his own? Just act like a good husband, nod at my every sentence.

Lekin chale ye bhai sahab hero banner.
[But there he is acting like he's the hero.]

"You guys are lying," Aniketh said, his eyes carrying some rage within them.

"We are not. I can show you the marriage certificate if you want." I said, confidently. Because of my confidence, he would just believe me and won't ask-

"Show me."

"Popat," Deven mumbled under his breath but I heard him and glared at him.

"I don't go carrying around my marriage certificate. I'll send you the pdf." I replied and when my eyes fell on Neava, I continued. "And she is the living proof of our holy bond of love. She was so happy when we got married because he is like her brother-" Neava interrupted me.