Unforeseen

As I entered Mel's room, an irresistible urge compelled me. Her pictures on the wall brought a twisted smile to my face, fueling my determination to protect her. I didn't want to invade her privacy for long, so I departed. I pocketed the keys and secured the house, just like they always do. Under the pot plant, I concealed the keys, knowing I'd return before they noticed. The coldness of the morning and the unsettling breeze pierced my eyes. I hailed a cab to Diamond Walk Park, arriving before 8 am to avoid the traffic. The early hour left the park deserted, with no one in sight. I passed through the park gates, and there she sat on the bench, facing the murky pond. Never did I imagine meeting Elaine, the girl with an aura of untouchable fierceness. I may be quiet, but I observe the hallways and judge characters well...hmm. She must have craved hearing about this encounter. Approaching her felt daunting, and I struggled to find the right words to greet her.

"Hey Elaine," I muttered, my smile faltering in the face of her icy gaze.

"Cut to the chase, already. Spare us the wasted time," she snapped, rolling her eyes and sipping her coffee.

I delved into the gruesome details, leaving no stone unturned. I recounted our encounter with Mr. Whitaker and the chilling presence of the medium.

"So, that's why the exorcism had to be done," I concluded, my voice trembling.

"How the hell did my friend get tangled up in your mess? Did you manipulate her? Exploit her vulnerability?" she seethed, her fury palpable.

"Listen, Elaine," I pleaded, my voice trembling with desperation. "The vessel was meant to be a woman's body. Mel volunteered willingly, and I made sure to get her consent. She wanted to help, out of the goodness of her heart. But things went horribly wrong, beyond our control."

"You're a twisted freak, and so is your family," she spat, flinging her coffee at my face with venom. The cold weather spared me from scalding pain. "Is this what you do? Manipulate women to fight your battles? Play the 'savior'? You disgust me. No wonder people think you're a weirdo. I should have warned Mel about getting involved with you and your voodoo shit." With those words, she stormed away, leaving me stunned.

Thankfully, the park was deserted, sparing me from the prying eyes and cameras that would have captured this humiliating moment.

"Elaine, please," I pleaded, rushing after her and wiping my face. "We may not see eye to eye, but if we want to save Mel, we have to work together. Our goals align at this point."

"Oh yeah? Let me ask you this, did you purposely got rid of Mel just to win her back? Is that your theory, Jake?" she interrogated, her voice dripping with skepticism.

"No, that's not true at all," I defended myself earnestly. "I never wanted any of this to happen. It's been a series of unfortunate events. Look, I brought her phone here so you can respond to her parents when they call. I know it's all my fault, and I'm ready to make things right. Just please, hear me out. I think I know where she is."

"Whatever, Jake," she scoffed dismissively. "I'm only doing this for Mel, not because I believe anything you say."

A wave of relief washed over me as she uttered those words. I had never been subjected to such a barrage of insults in my entire life. "We'll need to seek the help of the priest," I explained to her. "He can accompany us to the location and hopefully trap the spirit."

"Fine," she retorted, her voice dripping with sass. "Alright, I'll hail a cab," I responded, gesturing towards the gates so we could make our way to the street.

I wanted to change my clothes, but I knew she wouldn't have it. The freezing cold air combined with the coffee stains on my clothes made it even worse. I zipped up my jacket, hoping it would provide some warmth in the cab.