Eat or be Eaten

I was working on my United Nations presentation when the doorbell rang. I think nothing of it; it's almost time for dinner, and it's not unusual for a sibling or two to join us unexpectedly. They forget their keys somewhere and need Gramps or another to let them in. It has happened enough times since I joined the family. It rings again. Soon after, Dick can be heard yelling, " I got it!" It's quiet for a moment, then Dick screams, " Dad! Your Baby Mama's here!"

I freeze, my core buzzing erratically. ' Mother? Mother—Mother is here?' I'm stuck in my seat, unable to move, unsure what to do. Should I run, hide, or say hello? ' How do you greet your almost murderer?' I feel the pounding of fast footsteps shaking the manor. I need to move . It's not safe . ' I'm shaking; why am I shaking?' I wonder, feeling my body move without my consent.

"—yal, Danyal," a voice tries to get my attention. A familiar hand is on me. " Danyal, Ahki, brother," I realize it's Dami.

" Mother is here," I whisper in horror.

" I heard," Dami remarks numbly, "Richard's exclamation was quite clear."

" What am I supposed to do?" I whisper, " I-I can't see her, Dami, I can't, she's–"

" Calm down, Ahki," Dami steadies me, " Mother... Mother has calmed down since your... incident. Baba won't let anything happen to us. You are safe. We are safe."

I slowly let out a shaky breath, " Can't I just stay up here? I don't want to see her."

" I doubt it..." Dami trails off, " Think of this as practice for upcoming meetings and trials with enemies. You can do this, Danyal."

" Father would be in the room? You?" I ask, calming down.

" Of course," Dami says vehemently.

" Young masters," Gramps calls up the stairs, and we leave the room. Dinner is ready... we have a... guest." Damian and I meet Gramps at the stairs. He looks at us sadly, "Your mother has arrived."

" We heard," I say, " is Baba down there yet?"

Gramps nods, "As well as Young Master Dick, and I assume the rest of your siblings won't be far behind. The Young Master was notifying them of this development."

" Any chance you could pretend we're not here?" I ask Gramps.

" No, you already agreed to come down with me. Let's go see Mother," Dami says, taking my hand and pulling me down the stairs. We head into the dining room to see Baba at the head of the table, Mother on one side, Dick on the other. Dami goes to Dicks side and skips a seat, letting me sit between them.

Mothers – Damis' – eyes stare at me, scrutinizing me, " you look well, Danyal."

" Thank you, Mother," I say tensely.

" Which is such a shame," Mother says, continuing as if I hadn't spoken. " Your miraculous survival has ruined my objective record."

I shrug, "You should have known better to engage in a fool's venture."

" How dare you," Mother snarls, " I am your mother–"

" One that pushes children into canyons," Dick says, cutting her off, " the fact that you have the gull to call yourself a mother at all is astounding."

" Beloved–" Mother says, starting to turn to Baba.

Baba just huffs, " he's a grown man, dick can speak as he pleases," which is bat speak for, 'Was he lyin tho?' Mother pouts a little as no one is on her side. Gramps brings out dinner, which starts the most awkward family dinner of the century ( if you were to ask Clockwork, they would say it makes the top 50).