Chapter 60 - Moving Forward

[Back to Shin's perspective]

"Shin... Are you serious?"

"Yes, I am–" Suddenly my vision blurred, and darkness enveloped me. When I opened my eyes again, I found myself in a familiar dreamscape.

The shrine grounds.

I sat up from the ground, noticing Tsurugi standing on the handle of the katana. "Are you really serious?" she asked.

"I am," I replied, my voice steady and resolute.

You're serious...

"...Fine... I'll let you use it..." Tsurugi leaped backward and landed gracefully on the ground. "But... before you do that... you have to do something for me."

I slowly stood up, facing him. "What is it?"

Suddenly, a sword whizzed past my head, grazing my cheek. Blood trickled down my chin.

"Are you ready?" Tsurugi asked, his voice challenging.

"What...?!" I exclaimed, eyes wide with shock.

"I am the blood on my sword, a sakura petal soaked in blood, a branch that has spilled the blood of many. I have created over a thousand blades, unknown to death, nor known to life. I have withstood pain to create many weapons, yet these hands will never hold anything." (A/N: If you know, you know!)

Swords rained down from the sky, embedding themselves in the ground around us. Tsurugi's right hand bled, forming a katana of blood then pointed it at me. "Come at me."

I gritted my teeth, "I see now... Tsurugi..." I rushed forward, grabbing a sword from the ground and clashing with her. "So this is the answer to everything!"

"That's right, Shin," she said, her voice cold and unwavering. "If you want something, you must take it with strength."

We clashed fiercely, her strikes powerful and precise. She knocked me back, but I backflipped, landing on my feet.

The sword that I'm holding shattered..?! Already!?

I grabbed a few more swords from the ground, parrying the falling blades from the sky. Determined, I rushed forward again, each step filled with resolve.

I grabbed another sword from the ground, determination fueling my every step as I charged forward. The cycle of our clash repeated endlessly, each encounter testing my resolve.

"Why is this child giving me trouble..." Tsurugi muttered, her frustration palpable.

"Don't you get it? You may be a Herrscher with powerful abilities capable of creating destruction all over the world but don't underestimate us humans. Even if we can't win, we always stand up and fight."

"What do you mean...?!"

"Tsurugi," I said, managing to clash with her blade and throw her off guard. "I will make you witness... THE WILL OF THE WEAK!"

Huh?!" Tsurugi's eyes widened as a figure flashed before her, resembling someone from her past.

This scenario... it's the same as he did... Those words he threw at me... Heh... I guess you two are brothers, after all, Tsurugi thought, a smile tugging at her lips. "I see... I guess I underestimated humans too much."

She raised her other arm and snapped her fingers. Suddenly, the chaotic dreamscape reset, the swords vanished, and I found myself back at the shrine grounds, sitting up.

"H-Huh?!" I exclaimed, looking around in confusion as I stood up. The dreamscape was calm once more, the chaos erased as if it had never happened. "Wh-What!? HA!?"

"What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost," Tsurugi said, her tone teasing.

"I-I thought you were going to kill me! Your bloodlust was so intense, I had to get serious," I stammered, still trying to steady my breathing.

Tsurugi gave me a blank look before bursting into laughter, turning away to hide her amusement.

"H-Hey! This isn't a laughing matter!"

"Hahaha! Sorry, sorry," she said, still chuckling. "I just can't take things seriously when it comes to you."

"That's... an INSULT!"

Tsurugi's smile softened as she looked at me. "Shin, why are you going so far?"

I met her gaze, taking a deep breath. "Because my friends are still out there fighting. There's one idiot who's alone right now... I can't afford to back down."

A flicker of recognition crossed her face. "I see... A cliche answer. You remind me so much of him."

"Then you understand why I can't stop. No matter what, I have to keep going."

She nodded slowly, her expression thoughtful. "I understand. So that's why... entertain me from now on, Shin."

"Entertain you? I'm not a clown here to make you laugh."

"Fufu~ How funny," Tsurugi said, turning away. "Go back... to where you belong."

Suddenly, I woke up and sat up, disoriented. "Tsurugi," I muttered, a smile spreading across my face as I got out of bed. My St. Freya uniform hung neatly on a hanger nearby. I grabbed it, quickly putting it on.

"Leave it to me."

[Meanwhile... Back to Raiden Mei's point of view]

The lower decks had been evacuated, but the relentless Honkai Beasts kept coming. Mei panted heavily, her grip tightening on her katana. "Is there no end to them?"

At least Bronya and Wendy are safe, she thought, a small comfort amidst the chaos.

A voice echoed in her mind, mocking and cold. "How tragic. You'll never hope to beat them. Strong words, but words mean nothing in this fight."

Mei's eyes narrowed. "Shut your mouth, 3rd Herrscher."

A laugh-filled her head, sharp and cruel. "Ahahaha~ And here I am trying to give you a snap of reality... but fine... I'll lend you some of my strength..."

Power surged through her, dark and potent. Mei's breath hitched. "This... Herrscher powers..."

The 3rd Herrscher's voice was a whisper now, a cold resolve. "There's a score I need to settle. I won't let her die here. Never expected the day would come when our interests are aligned."

Mei's body hummed with newfound energy as the Herrscher's power fused with her own. She took a deep breath, grounding herself, and charged forward.

In minutes, the swarms of Honkai Beasts lay defeated, their remnants scattered across the deck. Mei stood among them.

"All Honkai readings have disappeared!" the operator's voice crackled through her earpiece. "Good work, Miss Raiden Mei!"

Theresa's voice followed, urgent but relieved. "We're about to pass through the barrier. Get back to the bridge!"

Mei sheathed her katana and sprinted back towards the bridge.