26| Trending

Four walls done-double coated, a bed assembled and made, exactly twelve boxes unpacked, and Eva was finally finished her master bedroom. Rushing to pick up the girls from their programs, too exhausted to even contemplate dinner, Eva decided tonight was a night to order in.

And to the ecstatic cheers of the girls, she'd settled on Hawaiian Pizza with a cheesy stuffed crust, a couple of garden salads, because Eva was a firm believer that dinner should always be accompanied by some form of vegetable, and a bottle of ginger ale.

Scarfing down her second slice, the girls seated around the table, Eva answered the door to find Jenelle on her porch holding a bag, raincoat pulled over head as rain swept through the evening sky.

"Hey," she beamed. "Don't you ever answer your phone? I've been calling like crazy."

Eva wiggled her half finished crust. "Been busy all afternoon and only now jsut eating dinner. What's up?" Holding the door open, Jenelle walked inside, shrugging off her wet coat, skipped over to the table to give each of the girls a smiling, lip-smacking hug and kiss that left the three of them in giggles.

"Let's take this upstairs." Jenelle suggested, taking hold of the bag she'd discarded by the front door.

"Finish your dinner, girls," Eva said, following her up the stairs. "When you're done feed the pups, let them outside and you can have an hour of TV before bedtime."

By the time Eva had reached the landing, Jenelle was already down the hall and opening Eva's bedroom door. Whistling long and low, she spun, admiring the newly put together space. "Wow, no kidding you've been busy." Flopping back on the bed, she laid there, wine cradled at her side like a baby.

"Jeez-Louise woman, you should come redo my room, while you're at it. It's gorgeous."

"Not even if you paid me." Stretching screaming back muscles, Eva flipped a suggestive finger. At the sound of Jenelle's snorting giggles, Eva couldn't help but smile. "You're awfully chipper."

"I am." Shooting up to her knees, she flung her arms wide. "Because as of today we are trending on Twitter. Twitter, Eva! The whole world is talking about us." As Eva shut the bedroom door, Jenelle pulling out her phone and combed through tweets.

"Faces of Haven is changing the social media landscape. Uniting people across the globe in various pursuits of life, love and overall well-being." The article went on to highlight a photo Eva had captured of a young boy, not much younger than Hailey, sitting on a park bench, out with his older cousin. She'd kept his face out of the frame, and focused on the tightly clenched fingers wrapped around his knees.

He was crying. Worried about how to tell his parents that he believed, with all his young heart, that he was meant to be a she.

I'm terrified they'll hate me. My dad wants us to bond over boxing and girls and I don't know how to tell him. He's so happy to have a son. I don't know if he's ready or wants to have a daughter...

"Recognizing the youth as Jamal Ahmad, the boy's father stepped forward," Jenelle continued to read, "and made a statement about his love for his son, about his acceptance of the boy's thoughts, fears and feelings. I loved my boy from the moment I held him in my arms. And I'll love him always, dress and all. His parents are now taking him to speak with a gender transition counsellor to begin discussions about understanding transgendered youth and entering into the next steps for young Jamal's life."

She gave Eva a giddy shove. "The kid is scheduled to appear on Ellen next week, Eva. As in Ellen DeGeneres."

And it went on, as Eva listened, thoughts in a dizzy, from a homeless man she'd shot on the mainland; the image in bold, harsh colour of a faceless corporate type glued to his phone, stepping over him like he was a crack in the pavement.