3. Return to Dampier

(Greyson's POV)

Up until now, I still don't understand why Fifteen and Eleven left me out alone in here with just a map. I knew we already talked about this separating plan, but I still feel edgy. Like I was back again at the time before I met them.

At least, I got Night, my Chimaera, still in a form of a black cat. She was the one I'm with since the girls left me last night. Somehow, Night reminds me of Clara and the day when I had to left her for good. The memories about my past life here and about Clara were slowly coming back. And now, I'm back in Dampier, the place where it all started.

The place where I first woke up.

I'm sure my capsule was just somewhere in here, or probably had been washed up by the waves already.

I just realized right now that separating with the Garde is a bad idea. What if something's wrong happened with them? We're already close to be united, and yet we split up and now we're divided back again. If only I could've think of that before we decided to finalize the plan, none of this should've happened.

I walk past the seashore of Dampier, the summer breeze sweeping past over me. It was early in the morning. I've been carrying this heavy bag behind me and my Chest under my right arm. As I look into the distance, trying to find Clara's house, my heart beat pumps so fast. I could be half nervous, or half excited, or maybe both of it.

It's just that, I don't know how to react once I see Clara's face again. I can't believe I'm going to see her right now. Those weeks when we're far from each other, it seems like it's just yesterday.

Those last days before I left this place, I never told her about my feelings. I haven't discovered yet I was in love with her since I start the voyage across the world. And now, I'm so desperate to see her. I wanted her now to know that feeling and to know if she felt something for me too. My mind keeps on replaying the moment when I first met her.

Once I reach the place, I hesitate for a moment. I notice that the place is quiet unlike before. Night purrs loudly at my feet. Whatever she meant, I can't understand her. Well, if Eleven was here, she could've told me what Night was thinking.

"It's okay, Night," I decided. "I know you're excited to see Clara, too."

This is it. The plan is, talk to Clara and get my pendant back. Last time I gave it to her so she could be aware if there're Mogs somewhere near the area. It should give her a tingling feeling, and when it does, that means she's in danger and she needs to leave before the Mogs could find her.

Eleven told me that our pendants are very special. It wasn't forged by the Elders like from the nine chosen Garde, but it was especially designed for the five of us.

Eleven once saw her pendant emit streaks of green light, and that it always comes back at her neck whenever the Mogs take it away from her.

Our pendants have their own functions. I wonder what was mine. I never saw my pendant do something like what happened with Eleven.

Like I said before, my pendant can warn me if there are Mogs somewhere. What if it was my pendant's function all along? I thought all pendants do that. But, could it be?

I step into the Andersons' house and into the front porch. Night follows behind me, leaving small paw tracks all over the sands. I raise my hand to knock. When the door opens, what could be Clara's reaction when he sees me? Did she even miss me?

Dang, get over with it already, Greyson, I scold myself. Are you coming or not?

I knock the door five times and waited for a minute. When there's no one answering after that, I gave another knock. Nervous creeps inside of me. What happened with Clara? Last time I knew she was alone here since her dad went to work. But Mr. Anderson should've been back right now.

Did she and her dad left? Did Clara felt the warning from my pendant? If that happened, then coming here is hopeless. I need to find her. It's not just because of my pendant. It's also because I missed her and I have to talk to her.

I was about to raise my hand to knock again when somebody inside yelled.

"Get out!" a loud voice booms inside, which I recognized as Clara's dad. Mr. Albert Anderson. "Go away!"

That's it. I knew there's still someone here. Clara might be here. And even though he wanted me to go now, I won't. I need to see her.

"I need to see Clara," I say. "It was important, please. At least, let me see her."

There was a moment of silence before I heard loud footsteps walking towards the door. I thought he was going to open it, but he didn't.

"I said leave now. I know about you and the others of your kind. But I stopped and I will not bother you anymore," he says behind the door. How did he know about this? Did Clara told him about my real identity as a Loric? "Just leave us. You already took everything from us."

"If you remember me, sir, it was Greyson Welch." I say. "I'm not here to cause harm Mr. Anderson."

"What do you want?"

"I wanted to talk to her. I've been away from her for weeks. All I want is to see her and talk to her. You might not understand, but this is important. So please, let me talk to her."

After I said those words, I regret it. I was worse when it comes to begging or something. But at least I told him.

I thought now he's going open the door and punch me right into my stomach. I remember him very well when he gripped my hands with his big fist.

After one minute, I hear the locks click to open. Slowly, Mr. Anderson opens the door three inches away, revealing his same bluish-gray eyes. I realized his hair have some white strands, which made him look older the last time I saw him. A scar spread across his forehead down to his temple.

I took me seconds to see that his eyes were actually red from crying, or maybe lack of sleep.

I was about to start to talk again when I was interrupted with his answer.

"Clara's gone. She's been gone for weeks now."